"The Richness" -- Legendary Japanese Digging Bible

E

every7

Does anyone have this? Would anyone WANT this?

It's not a "sample-spotting" compendium like some of the more popular new websites (the-breaks.com etc.), or even a definitive guide. It's just an industry manuscript that some Japanese businessmen apparently used during the great beat-buying phase of the early 90s when they were buying everything up in the U.S. to take back.

The advantage and also its limitation is that it only covers open breaks, so it's just for absolute drumheads.....The CDs have looped samples of all the breaks.

It's helped me a lot in the last seven years or so (I've always been interested in knowing where the open drums come from just as trivia), and I was wondering if anyone else had benefitted from it?

Anyone else who has a copy, I'd also be interested in the different covers that people have on their copies. My version is about a ninth generation photocopy, and I'm pretty sure it's not the original cover art that they used (usually industry manuscripts have quite plain bound covers).

My copy is entirely in English, except for fine-print on the inside page which I can no longer make out (poor photocopy!)

JunkOne said:
Where do you get this book at ? USA ? Ever seen the Deep Crates DVD ? Its nice...

Mine is a crappy manuscript. It's not "published" as such because it was more like an in-house document that these people used. Obviously not exactly top-secret to have found its way to Australia, though! - but not something for sale in stores. By the production values you can tell it wasn't properly put out.....

I'm currently figuring out whether it would ever be worth reissuing a budget copy of the book for resale. Obviously it'd be impossible to reissue the CD because of the licensing headaches, but I could probably get the permission of the people who first put out the manuscript.

Yeah you should if you can release that id take a copy anything to help along the dig for vinyl..

JunkOne said:
Yeah you should if you can release that id take a copy anything to help along the dig for vinyl..

You reckon it's worth it? I was looking through it and it's not a costly document to reproduce, it's just tables of text.

My fear is that I'd go through the effort to be able to reproduce it, do a run of 20 or so test copies, and no one would buy 'em.

I'm interested.

What kind of information does it give? Does it tell me anything I wouldn't already know? (eg. stuff on Cadet is good, look for the dark part of the record, etc.)

Last edited by a moderator:
BigRyan said:
I'm interested.

What kind of information does it give? Does it tell me anything I wouldn't already know? (eg. stuff on Cadet is good, look for the dark part of the record, etc.)

BigRyan, it might not. It's literally just a big list of "beats", i.e. songs with open breaks on them. It doesn't even list labels. The guys who used it were pretty much all business, so there's not the type of stuff you'd see for people like yourself who are looking to find things no one else is up on. They were all records that were previously known about, rather than a guide to generally looking for drums or tipping whether something will be nice. It includes a lot of good stuff, though, and they also include a small amount of info on domestic japanese stuff.....i.e. they list Art Pepper's version of "Avalon" recorded live in japan that has a nice open break on it.

It's a Bible, I guess in that it's 100% open breaks. You can't step wrong with it.

If anyone else has a copy please let me know what the cover shows on your version....I want to know whether my version's cover is an actual cover or just bvllshyt.

I won't be on here for a few months because of a few things I have to organise, but I'll be back here in September. I'll update on the progress then.

Back