Repetitive Beats

bottomline its always the finished product that defines the work it took to get there

regardless of if its a simple loop or an intricate sound that contains numerous levels like an opera would
like DJ Mustard he doesnt have many switch ups or anything major but artist hear something that speaks them

Artists like Khrysis and 9th have vocalists with lyrics worth paying attention to that keep me engaged regardless of the sample and how often it's used

Repetitive hiphop instrumentals can get boring if you're just wanting to listen to them and not do your own vocal stuff over them, though

I doubt Kool Herc or Bambaataa would frown at beat repetition, beat repetition, beat repetition:rolleyes: after all, looping breaks is how this sh-t started, to the extent of mixing 2 copies of the same record from one to the other, personally I'd merit nuance vs repetition equally, if beat repetition is the only criticism you get, your definitely doing many things right, if your aiming for producing popular hits it could be a necessary requirement?

The beats gotta be open for lyrics. Especially if the lyricist is a LYRICIST. Plus, most producers especially the ones being discussed (more or less east coast boom bap) 9 times out of 10 will have a true lyricist. Then once the lyrics are down the producer plays off their words, whether it be scratching or sampling or just following chorus with a mono-tone voice. But every style is different :D

Last edited:
I think if you have a repetitive loop then add other other elements to add interest and change. Change the drums up a bit or comepletely for different sections of the song. Like in the Games "Holy Water".
Add vocals, effects, one shots, learn music theory find the key of the sample and add some stabs.
I think that if the loop is that catchy then it's fine, and if it can get repetitive then try and add some small elements, doesn't have to be anything crazy or complicated, just to stimulate the listeners ear.

I often think the same thing to myself, a lot of famous producers have a lot of repetivie beats.
Harry Fraud is my favorite right now and he really loops his work, he actually has a track on his new mini project called "LOOP" but the artists and little things make it catchy.

It can be repetitive but it should have some change-ups IMO.
Like adding some extra instruments in the hook.
Premier's music doesn't have much change-ups but when you listen to Pete Rock you'll hear a lot of things happening with the same sample during the track.
Same with Kev Brown. And they play they own basses and synths on top of they samples to make change-ups.

It can be repetitive but it should have some change-ups IMO.
Like adding some extra instruments in the hook.
Premier's music doesn't have much change-ups but when you listen to Pete Rock you'll hear a lot of things happening with the same sample during the track.
Same with Kev Brown. And they play they own basses and synths on top of they samples to make change-ups.

Never heard of Kev or Pete using a synth or playing there own bass. They are all samples as far as I have seen.

Never heard of Kev or Pete using a synth or playing there own bass. They are all samples as far as I have seen.

Bass, yes, Synth, not so much. I have heard both Kev and Pete say that they either pluck or have someone else play into the MPC. They can then chop it up into notes/chords and rearrange them to fit the beat. They do the say for keys too, but I havent heard them incorporating synths.

Bass, yes, Synth, not so much. I have heard both Kev and Pete say that they either pluck or have someone else play into the MPC. They can then chop it up into notes/chords and rearrange them to fit the beat. They do the say for keys too, but I havent heard them incorporating synths.

Where did you hear this? I have only ever heard Kev say he sampled himself playing keys for Power Bars in his production commentary. But all the beat making vids etc.. He's sampling.

Artists like Khrysis and 9th have vocalists with lyrics worth paying attention to that keep me engaged regardless of the sample and how often it's used

Repetitive hiphop instrumentals can get boring if you're just wanting to listen to them and not do your own vocal stuff over them, though
This

7char

Where did you hear this? I have only ever heard Kev say he sampled himself playing keys for Power Bars in his production commentary. But all the beat making vids etc.. He's sampling.

If you listen to his other commentaries closely, he says that he was at the studio and sampled a guitar being plucked into the mpc. He also sampled live drums from an Adat tape. He knows how to manipulate it to fool you. He is notorious for putting a sampled crackle/hiss behind it.

If you listen to his other commentaries closely, he says that he was at the studio and sampled a guitar being plucked into the mpc. He also sampled live drums from an Adat tape. He knows how to manipulate it to fool you. He is notorious for putting a sampled crackle/hiss behind it.

Yeah I remember the drums and think I remember the guitar thing now that you mention it.

I think short tracks are cool even if they are repetitive, because they're so short it doesn't seem it haha. Zomby for example

I think it all depends on the kind of emcee that's going to get attached to it, and the style they come through with. Some emcees can rock the hell out of a repetitive beat.

Repetition is an essential part of any song, it gives the track shape and structure. I get how some people think dudes like Premo and 9th are too repetitive but they clearly don't understand hip-hop if that's the case, so they can't even be taken credibly in the first place. I'd say whatever sounds dope sounds dope, variation is cool but so is looping a 4 bar sample with some bangin drums over it, whatever tickles your fancy.

I agree , If the artist keeps it energetic and lyrically smart it will hold most peoples attention.

Back