Repetitive Beats

Tallen

The Beatsmith
What is your take on repetitive beats?

For example, producers like 9th, Premo, KHRYSIS, Pete, Mad, Blaze, etc.

I have no problem with them.. they're more than likely going to have vocals over them so what's the big deal? I'm sick of people saying "It's repetitive, ew" and ignorant comments like that.

Hip-Hop was based on loops anyways..

just my 0.02 whatcha'll think?

As long as its creative and sounds great, it doesn't matter. That's my opinion, most of the time the people that say it's repetitive and sucks, are mad that they didn't think of it first. But just add or remove an instrument or whatever you used in the verses.

Almost every song / track has some repetitive elements. Typically repetition is required to build an expectation for the listener and you can then break the expectation with unexpected twists / changes, this is one of the core foundations of music. Getting people familiar with something and once a melody or drum pattern is established in their head you switch it up and it brings them back into the track, just as tension and release does. If something changes too often or is too complex it won't be a "catchy" or remember-able tune typically, if you consider how most melodies that get stuck in your head are very simple. So I say keep it repetitive to some extent ;)

Almost every song / track has some repetitive elements. Typically repetition is required to build an expectation for the listener and you can then break the expectation with unexpected twists / changes, this is one of the core foundations of music. Getting people familiar with something and once a melody or drum pattern is established in their head you switch it up and it brings them back into the track, just as tension and release does. If something changes too often or is too complex it won't be a "catchy" or remember-able tune typically, if you consider how most melodies that get stuck in your head are very simple. So I say keep it repetitive to some extent ;)

Never thought about it like that. :D

No one remembers those intricate trap beats over those Drop It Likes It's Hot style beats, LOL you kno?

Never thought about it like that. :D

No one remembers those intricate trap beats over those Drop It Likes It's Hot style beats, LOL you kno?

Trap beats ain't even intricate though. I really find Hip Hop beats and trap beats pretty equivalent in that sense. I think trap just creates an illusion of being more complex.

I think people who defend 'repeditive beats" by naming guys like Pete Rock and Primo aren't understading how intricate some of their music is. Sometimes a repeditive loop is all a song needs, but most Pete Rock, Dilla and Primo songs I can think of have subtle changeups and variations throughout them that took a very professional ear to even think to create.

This instrumental is not repeditive at all! It fits the sound of the time, but was very intricate. It would work today with an artist like J Cole or Big Krit. Problem is, as a producer you have to find your lane, using others techniques to validate your own will always backfire, there could be a million other elements to their song to make the repeditiveness genius.

In 2013 we have access to way more stuff than these guys had as well, so sometimes you're gonna wanna listen to critiques. If the standard is raised and you want to be part of the game, you're gonna have to step up and provide what's being asked for. Even in the specified lane of your choice.

Last edited:
I think people who defend 'repeditive beats" by naming guys like Pete Rock and Primo aren't understading how intricate some of their music is. Sometimes a repeditive loop is all a song needs, but most Pete Rock, Dilla and Primo songs I can think of have subtle changeups and variations throughout them that took a very professional ear to even think to create.

This instrumental is not repeditive at all! It fits the sound of the time, but was very intricate. It would work today with an artist like J Cole or Big Krit. Problem is, as a producer you have to find your lane, using others techniques to validate your own will always backfire, there could be a million other elements to their song to make the repeditiveness genius.

Sorry if some of my points came off ignorant. I just hate when people define repetitive as a make or break in a song. Sometimes it is essential for a tune to be repetitive.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I wouldn't stress if people think your music is too repetitive or not. Everyone has ADD these days

A lot of cats get repetitive and signature confused.
Most cats have a signature sound(9th,Pete,Primo etc.) and they stick by it.
Behind the beat a lot more goes on than the "average" person can hear but most "producers" should be able to catch it.

Nothing wrong with a signature sound,repetitive can be good or bad because sometimes
less is all a track needs.

Peace

I may have come off as a dyck the way I responded. I didn't mean any offense by it or to try to correct you. I was basically saying the same thing as SoulGhost, just came out sounding way more negative as I read it back.

yeah, beats where emcees are gonna be one it can be repetitive and still sound fresh.
but if its just for intrumental purposes, it needs changes

I don't think 9th Wonder beats are repetitive well at least his new beats his old beats were.... But he did had small change ups in the old beats that if you weren't a producer you wouldn't catch it.

Listen to yesterday & today by 9th and you'll notice little switches in there... not everyone is a kanye where they have a whole team of orchestra people at their disposal to replay samples live. but it true some of the best beat are repetitive.

I must agree and disagree at the same time. There are styles that more repetitive instrumentals are good, others that variation is a must.

Last edited:

Great response. When I make beatz the question I ask myself is "will the audience mind listening to this over and over"? If the answer is no, I'm scrappin that shit and starting over with something else. Either way no matter how may build ups, choruses, bridges, there's going to be some degree of repetition. Now 4 bars of the same shit for 3-4 mins is a little boring for my taste. But if that 4 Bar loop is some illy shit, then cool, I dont mind listening to it continuosly.

Last edited:
Every time I'm asked about repetition in music, there's one band (heavy metal) that comes into mind: Dream Theater. There's so much variation in what they do that they are recognized by "A band for musicians". Sometimes I get bored by listening to some of their 24 minute tracks, but, in other hand, I get bored by excessive repetition in 3-4' songs, too...

iF the 4 bar loop goes that hard then thats whats up. There's this one song by curren$y called BBS that has the same two bar loop through the whole song but for some reason i can't get enough of it.

Back