Records for RZA type drums/bass

R

Ralph_DeVille

i recently read that the RZA try's to keep his songs under 25% sampled.... in my opinion i think most of his sampling is done for drums and bass ..... what kinds of records should i be looking into for for drum sounds with a minimum of other sounds going on while drums ,,, ?

You are only guessing.You don't know he is sampling.

As far as drums without other sounds in it that is what is called
breaks.Look for breaks,There are alot out there.You can even get
on LP.
http://www.the-breaks.com/

Try there forum too

Last edited by a moderator:
Rza samples a lot of soul I would start there. generally in hip hop you should look in 3 main areas for the stereotypical samples. Soul, Funk and Rock. You can look else where but thats generally where you will find most of your favorite samples

Al Green. you'll find alot of Wu ****, whether it's RZA, True Master, 4th Disciple, or whoever, in Al Green's ****

It'll take more than just Soul samples. A lot of Rza's music is dark and mystical. You really have to think about... developing a full picture and not just use a sample. There are a lot of subtle basslines in his work also.
I have a track... that's been viewed as a "wu" type track. My question to them was... "how does it do that?"
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=66695&songID=5593485 7th Seal

like most of my tracks... I tested them amongst a live crowd.(open mic freestyles)

A lot of cats forget about tuning their drum kits and don't restrict yourself to use only one sample source. Some of the best sounds are combinations of other sounds.

Last edited:
Speaking of RZA;s samples, my friend was just showing me this cd of songs that RZA used for certain hits. "Liquid Swords" is in there (don't sample that), and some of his other **** (I only listened to that track).

I forget the name but I think it's like, "Wu Tang Soul" or something. Idk, look it up, it exsists.

rza used a lot of willie mitchell joints on liquid swords. i got a couple of the samples at the crib just to see how he used them.

rza is ill

Last edited:
it not about the sample, it about how he uses any sound to get to the result!

rza plays bass im pretty sure but if ur looking at early albums it would be to hard to find unless u asked him because he chopped things up like one note then played it across the keys so it would be hard to work it out also he used on early alums the van der pol filter on the asr 10 which makes it even harder to find out which sample he used. i nocited on early albums he used Melvin bliss break like 3 4 times soul is the area of music to look for his drum break but now he chops em up and runs them thru filters and stuff so its very hard to find out what drums he using two the rza seems to be really secretive of his samples.
Another thing is he plays stuff and you think its sampled because he chops it in to notes nad played it across the keys its got the sample sound but its played i think he uses more then 25% cos i always recognize stuff on songs

Last edited:
Big ups on the site Bud Bunner! They even have my favorite "Underdog" cartoon sample listed on there! That's where RZA used it for the baseline for "Wu Tang Clan Aint Nothing to Fu*k With"! That was a hott one there!:bigeyes:

Back