reason drum sounds???

noequalrecords

aight I remember one time someone gave me negative feedback on a beat i made and one thing they said was that it was too easy to tell my drums were from reason

why is this a problem??? is it cuz they dont think reason stock sounds sound that good since a program aint gonna provide you with hot drums? or do they actually just not sound that good

just curious, thanks for any feedback

IMO they don't sound that good for the most part. in 3.0 they have a a few new Hip Hop drum kits i think number 2 has some nice sounds. other than that they are all pretty wack. i used to make beats with Reason drums because i had no other sounds but now i got new drums i can tell the difference. it just makes the whole beat sound a lot better.

Yeah I reckon the drums in reason generally sound wack. You can say that there are some drums that sound good, but they doan compete with proper drums. I used to use reason drums when all I had was reason drums an you can get away with it if you fck with them a lot, but you can't have all your drums sounding fckd. I think the main problem is they are all very clean and don't sit together to feel like a proper loop. Anyway thats my opinion, some people like that style of drums, but I doan.

BTW I reckon getting drums to sound good is problee the hardest part of sampling to master an get right. It took me years to finally be happy with the way my drums sounded, an its the part of a track people will instantly have an opinion on. Most people can get a nice sounding loop but ruin it by having sht drums...

Get your hands on some Motif/Triton type drums and sample your own drums (or buy sampled drums on CD... like vinylistics). Then layer them and adjust them to however u want them to sound. I like doing this cuz I still have the gritty sample and the synth drums give it more punch.

Reason Drums...

See this is why engineering even on a basic level is important. Dig it the trick is the effects. You can take the stock drums and run them through the MClass if it's 3.0 and use various eqs, filters and compressors pretty much all kinds of efx tools to shape the sound to your liking. U have to remeber a lot of the records you hear from producers and why they might have a particular sound all boils back to the sonics. They might sample drums from a record but run them through an amp or compressor or limiter. U get the picture. Get involved with using the effects with different combos of racks chained together to get good results. If that does not work for u and u still dislike the stock sounds, email me and we have a nice selection of drums from DRE, Timbo, Jay Dee, etc. plus exclusive packs we created.
dlgrecord@yahoo.com.

The Dr. Rex loops are the ****. I saved a bunch of them at 100 bpm's and chopped them up in my MV.

If you layer your sounds good, not many people will recognize where they are from, unless they are 808's or something.

the reason sound bank drums for the most part are weak....but drum samples are everywhere...get some new ones loadem in the redrum and get it crackin

Actually Reason got some good drum sounds only in the Dr. Rex folders....about I say 75% from default. REFILLS is alright...

The other drums in the devices are about 1 in every 10 sound is good.

MY OPINION.

Last edited:
i think people are full of ****. I use Reason kits all the time and most people think my drums bang. The problem I find with all of this is that your listening to producers. Internet producers on top of that. These have to be some of the most nitpicky sobs I've ever heard. Do yourself a favor and stop listening to what most net producers have to say. They are biased and usually overly technical and/or one deminsional. The way to the top is not satisfying them but it is in satisfying regular joe and the rapper on the come up. If u can keep them happy and they are selling if your business is right you will eat too.

I think that the reason drum kits are good. I think that they are sampled from real drums. That what i look for. authentic sounds. Like producer1 said just add some effects and your strait.

Stock Reason 3.0 drums arent that bad. If you know how to tweak them right you can get some really good sounds. I use a lot of the stock drums tweaked and outside drum sounds. Mess with the tone, pitch, and running an equalizer through them. Learn the ins and outs of reason.

Back