question about turntable needle.

H

hart36

hey guys. might be a dumb question. friends letting me borrow his little portable vestax turntable, and i was wondering if there was anyway i could get my recordings of the records to not have the slight sound of the needle scraping? thanks

You mean when you transfer to computer/CD? That's something you'd have to try and clean-up in a post-production audio program like Sound Forge. (There are ways to lower surface noise/hiss/distortion etc., etc. but they cost money and take time and if you are talking Vestax, just keep evrything as clean as possible and deal with it in editing).

GJ

thanks man.. i quite like all the other noises, like the hisses and pops and crackles. just wanna try get rid of that scraping sound :bigeyes:

that scraping sound is the turntable. time for a new table... take it from someone whos been down that road.

---------- Post added at 01:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

i mean... its the needle doing the scraping but its the turntables fault.

Or your records; or a combination of the TT and the records... How does the "scraping sound" sound? Can you post a file? Have you checked to make sure the needle is seated properly and the cartridge isn't scraping the record itself? Are you weighting it with something (nickels, dimes, a quarter)? Remove the weights...

Which model Vestax? Is it the portable? I have the Numark portable, just as a 2nd/3rd TT and for auditioning stuff in the library. It's actually a decent little portable TT, but I probably would want something more hi-fi for sampling/production, and even vinyl transfers to CD (which I do a fair amount of, so I do use a Technics in the studio).

If the scraping sound is happening on everything you play, you might have a serious issue there.

GJ

thats it. let me make it clear though. the scraping isnt super evident during the song. its mostly apparent during quite silent parts and the gaps between songs. but i want to sample those gaps. it might be the turntable? too bad. its not mine after all. but was just wondering what thr problem is and if its a simple solution or not :) ill try post a sample soon
handytrax__54270_zoom.jpg

Are you talking about scraping or crackling? Two completely different things, crackling is normal, it comes with vinyl, no way to get rid of it. If it's scraping hardcode then something's wrong with the needle.

haha i can see i prob sound like a ****in noob. but im not :). na man its more the scraping. i love the crackling! half of the character of vinyl. yeah shuld def try see whats wrong with the needle. as i said its not my turntable so im not gonna go out of my way to make it perfect. but thanks :)

Back