Pls give me simple example on sampling

M

Mzee Somba

Hello there! I am looking for a good tutor who can explain to me how sampling is done using either soundforge, exs24 sampler, kontakt sampler or any softwere sampler you know and interested in, step by step through an example the other thing which i want to know is how vocals are treated while sampling because i do guess that sampling is done mainly on the beat of the song, so do we need to separate beat and vocals before samling or no! Pls help.

all u need to know is that sampling is the art of taking an old song and making it into something new. while it may sound similar to the original song its just an art that u gotta learn. ur best way to learn this is to listen to some sampled music and then listen to the original songs that were sampled(if u buy the cd it will list all the samples used inside of the book) and u cannot seperate vocals from the instrumental most people just rap on the singing. It sounds good and alot of people dont notice it.

You can check my latest track called "Stand Up" if you would like. It features the original that I sampled playing in the begining and then goes into the beat in which I chopped up the sample to create the mleody. Click my sig if you wish to hear it.

I dont need sampling politics but i need answer from people who knows exactly what sampling is and how can it be done by just puting it in one paragraph i.e just a simple example on sampling

X basicly said what sampling is already it's not that hard to understand.

If you can listen to a song and "say oh they sampled that" "or thats a sampled track" then you know what sampling is.

You sample an old song or what ever you like and then use it to create a melody an thus you have created a sampled track.

In music, sampling is the act of taking a portion of one sound recording and reusing it as an instrument or element of a new recording.

If you want a simple example - think Stan by Eminem...everyone knows that tune...he lifted the chorus of Thank you by Dido...maybe you could check out the original and listen to how they integrated it into Stan.

Also Eminem...Toy Soldiers...identical idea with the chorus this time lifting from Toy Soldiers by Martika.

^good example. Another example would be Notorious Big (basically anything) but the 2 songs i have in mind are 1 More Chance(A song by Debarge I forget what one tho) and Big Poppa (an Isley Brothers song Between The Sheets I believe) striaght out of the old songs nothin really done to each.

Now i understand what sampling is, but you missed the subject matter of my question "THE HOW TO" pls tell me how do we sample,chop and loop if i will get this I m sure by few days to come i will be sampling records
NB
When telling me that pls use software sampler that is my preference, i dont like hardware sampler b'se i dont have space to accomodate them.

lmao @ u not liking hardsamplers kuz u dont know how to use them u dont know how to use software samplers either ur kinda screwed arent u. there are tutorials everywhere. Shyt theres even one in my sig lol

Xabiton said:
lmao @ u not liking hardsamplers kuz u dont know how to use them u dont know how to use software samplers either ur kinda screwed arent u. there are tutorials everywhere. Shyt theres even one in my sig lol

I just asked for a simple example u tell me what to do briefly if you belong to the class of GURUZ in sampling this is just a one paragraph explanation because they dont have time for blahblah, and for the case of hardware sampler i dont like dem because i feel it is too barbaric to use them in the 21 century.
Pls give me a simple how to explanation of sampling using software samplers.

i aint a guru but u need to pick up a book or use google or something this is some lazy **** right here sayin teach me about software samplers kuz i dont like hardware samplers but never used either how can u judge but never ****ed wit either one thats my point there are a million and one software samplers out there and if u would have read my entire response instead of asking me to breast feed the answers to u u would have also realised I said there was one in my sig either way do ur own research I know the difference and can use both why do i need to research it u do ur own research this site is not a research tool

I just asked for a simple example u tell me what to do briefly if you belong to the class of GURUZ in sampling this is just a one paragraph explanation because they dont have time for blahblah, and for the case of hardware sampler i dont like dem because i feel it is too barbaric to use them in the 21 century.

I came across this thread and had to reply.

First off sampling is an artform. You take a peice of audio and reuse it or rearrange it in a composition of your own. How do you do that? Well, take a piece of audio and load it into a sampler - since you want a how to of software samplers it's probably somewhere along the lines of File - Open. Your software sampler should have a help file attached to it that will tell you everything you need to know. I really don't know what else to say besides that. You're asking such a vague question...it would be like asking "How can i play drums like Jon Bonham or Keith Moon - someone explain it in one paragraph" on a forum on drums. I consider a sampler an instrument and if used with some skill and dedication it can be a very powerful and versatile instrument.

I also don't understand why you are so biased about hardware samplers. You said they are "barbaric" - what are you going to do? Sample off your iPod because records are barbaric and 20th century? The only real difference is with hardware you use buttons and in software you use the mouse and keyboard to control everything. My advice to you is to maybe do some more research on sampling before you start spending money and getting frustrated.

Darius Boone said:

I came across this thread and had to reply.

First off sampling is an artform. You take a peice of audio and reuse it or rearrange it in a composition of your own. How do you do that? Well, take a piece of audio and load it into a sampler - since you want a how to of software samplers it's probably somewhere along the lines of File - Open. Your software sampler should have a help file attached to it that will tell you everything you need to know. I really don't know what else to say besides that. You're asking such a vague question...it would be like asking "How can i play drums like Jon Bonham or Keith Moon - someone explain it in one paragraph" on a forum on drums. I consider a sampler an instrument and if used with some skill and dedication it can be a very powerful and versatile instrument.

I also don't understand why you are so biased about hardware samplers. You said they are "barbaric" - what are you going to do? Sample off your iPod because records are barbaric and 20th century? The only real difference is with hardware you use buttons and in software you use the mouse and keyboard to control everything. My advice to you is to maybe do some more research on sampling before you start spending money and getting frustrated.
You gave semi-precise explanation of what i wanted to know, but it seems that u r not creative u believe that things can only done in conventional ways and not otherwise,the time has come we have to use different methods, ways and appraoches in different styles in dealing with different subjects, there is no reason why we should stuck in the past like "THE TALEBAN".I believe that there is no right or wrong way of doing sampling but this is not a guarantee to make mistakes, if u know how to sample u could explain to someone/layman in simple and plain english and in understable way without asking the man to go through series of long unnecessary procedures.
For the case of hardware samplers i dont support them the time has come for us to do GREEN PRODUCTION these hardware samplers are not good for the environment when they are out of date and defective they go directly to destroy environment.And also they just occupy spaces in the studio unnecessary due to the level of technology we have, nowdays we have software samplers and sequencers which are better six digit times the hardware samplers, but die-hard hardware based producers("THE TALEBANS") dont want to realize the truth .

^u have some good and bad points. is hardware useless? far from it. its all a matter of preference. Im a software head myself but I like both as do alot of other people. Advantages of hardware: Hands On, Analog Audio, and no viruses. Advantages of software: easy to read, cheaper,more upgrades. Is one better than the other? I think not. I actually think most vintage pieces of hardware sound better than alot of software and other digital equipment. just my 2cents

I have undergone a lot of teachings on the internet and read extra material on sampling but i find none can explain clearly how sampling is done there are just blahblah no one is hitting the point only moving around the thing,i guess people are jelous about disclosing this knowledge i dont know for the sake of what, here we giving each other knowledge and knowledge is always free while education is for sale!

dude y do you want to be spoon feed, the time it took you to ask and talk shyt to everyone that tried to help you, you could of already figured out how to use a softsampler

Mzee Somba said:

Update the given link, seems not to work anymore,

It does work.....ive come to the conclusion that no one on this site knows how to use rapid-share...(for some odd reason this site filters out the word..thats why i had to add the %)......or people just dont read the post....

it says in my post.....REMOVE THE "%" from the link......

and it does work...just click on FREE and wait for the download counter to finish

Last edited by a moderator:
Back