Pete Rock Basslines

Young IV

im curious to how Pete Rock does his basslines does he use the low end theroy or does he play em out or what? let me know

Most of his basslines come from using the low end theory. Sometimes he will use a sample as the main part of his beat, and use a different filtered sample as a bassline.

Please pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is the "Low End Theory"? I think I get the concept, but could someone please explain?

Peace,
JT

PS I know it's also one of "Tribe's" trendsetting albums too

NCon4Myst said:
Please pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is the "Low End Theory"? I think I get the concept, but could someone please explain?

Peace,
JT

PS I know it's also one of "Tribe's" trendsetting albums too

It's (in theory) removing only a bassline from a song or sample. Like orjan, it's usually just filtering so you get mostly bass. And it's hard as hell to do. And Pete Rock and Tribe are some of the masters.

I don't think its hard to do some machines its much easier than others for a general idea use a low pass filter and then add some distortion to it to bring the bass out, then if you can run a hi pass filter pass that but do cut at the bottom just to get the rumble out. So somewhere around 35hz. I have done this in Reason, FL,AsR-10 and a MPC all these machines are capable of doing it.

http://www.myspace.com/electicbeats

all of these basslines were done like that

I have been using low end theory alot to make most of my bass, but i still need to learn to make it appear clearer and more beefy bass.

I just find it hard because funk bass and funk guitar usually overlap in frequencies-so that pure bass crispness I find is hard to get.

I haven't practiced that much though :)

well it's not supposed to sound as somebody played a bass guitar over the track, it's just meant to bring out some more low end

It's easy to do a decent job of it, but really hard to do well. Still tryna figure it out myself..

orjanbeats said:
jeez its not hard at all. why does everybody pretend that its like rocket science or something

Could you post a beat of your's that uses this technique the Low-End Theory? I'm just interested in hearing your beats with low-end theory.

Last edited:
lil jbm said:
Could you post a beat of your's that uses this technique the Low-End Theory? I'm just interested in hearing your beats with low-end theory.

for example this remake of rhymefest - dynomite

not the best example, but you get the idea

Well I think that there is the old school pete rock and the new school pete rock. The old school filter the sample sound so that the bass stands out and the new school way is this. I know how to do it with a MPC I have never been able to get it to sound better on any other peice of gear besides a SP1200. just sample a note from ( record, bass guitar, keyboard ect...) what ever just know what note your using that helps. chop it, tune it, filter it so it sounds low. then assign them to diffrent pads and tune them by ear to make your bass line.. wala there you have it.

and if you really know your MPC make the notes cut eachother out as you play them

rock on

girls call me pogi said:
I don't hear any bass in that song at all.

as i said, not the best example. but if you cant hear any bass, i suggest new monitors. its not ment to give a definable bass line, its just more low end and fullness.

Last edited:
Ok I have two agree with Bhunt and Skoolz as far some ways to filter basslines that have worked for me. I think the bass tones are important aswell. I like using warm deep bass samples to achieve this sound. I noticed that with some Jazz records getting this sound can be easier than other genre's. Why Jazz, you can find some old jazz records where the instruments are just Piano, Bass and Percussion. So you don't have to really work as hard to filter out kicks. Does this work with other Genre's? Yes. You can filter just about any sample it depends or the sound that you are looking for.

Last edited:
Back