paying to have rappers rap over your beats.. wtf?

futuredood

what up, i've shopped my beats around to a number of majors, and have had one placement to date. anyway i just got this message and was like wtf?

OUR ARTIST DOESNT PAY FOR BEATS. if youd like to get a track going with **** and **** on it. we can arrange that but both artists would need to be paid

seriously who the **** pays artists to rap over there ****?

Seany Mac said:
they gotta eat too, **** isnt a free show........you are paying for exposure, publicity, ect.

What rapper has to pay for programs, drum machines, keyboards, various instruments, microphones, monitors, headphones, preamp(s), turntable(s), racks, computer, soundcard, and god knows how many cables.

I understand they trying to make money too, but they'll be rapping accapella until they realize that they're not the only ones to get paid. Cause underground/indie cats be trying that ****.

Last edited:
nowadays, artists need producers more than producers need artists. for the most part, it should be the artist payin the producer. but artists charging producers isnt unheard of...

yeah that same thing happened to me. i got in touch with *blank* and he was talking $3,000 a verse. i was confused i never heard of me having to pay an artist to rap over my beats

only new rappers would be like that.. cuz they dont go no way of making money otherwise.. its on them to pay the producer b/c they making money off of merchandise, touring, etc. producers have no other avenue to make money but to sell beats.. whoever says its coo for artists to ask for money, good luck making it in the industry..

i've heard of famous artists charging for a verse, hook, etc on your song. not really to get a placement though i wouldn't be surprised if it's been done.

It's kind of funny because you can make an entire album with only instrumentals and people can like it. But no rapper is going to be able to make a whole acapella album and have people listening.

without the music an emcee is just talkin, its official that they should pay for the fukin music that makes em rich,famous,blow up, get pussy whateva---
what artists like us make-makes their lives better---so why shouldnt they pay for it...if they were all really musicians they wouldnt need beats...as far as an artist askin for an apperance fee?
ide wipe my ass with a dollar and ups ground that ***** to his manager

tha**** outa hea

i know of a few producers on here that have payed a certain rapper but i aint gon say no names... lol... dude aint even nice like that..

i dont know anything bout shopping beats, but that sounds like some real bullsh.it. i mean thats just shady as hell..if ur big enough to think that u could help the producer get exposure by rappin on his beat ur probably not hurting for cash..thats just greed. there should be a producers union so pricks like that could be blackballed.

that doesn't make sense enless if your just shopping beats. I could only see it being okay if you were a new rapper trying to get a hook from say Akon on ur track.

otherwise thats BS

i would pay somebody if that somebody was makin moves.. what most people dont understand is that u gotta invest to get ur **** heard.. it aint about talent no more.. people aint gon do nothin for free.. and why should they?? if you really think about it.. people thats gettin on and u're like "why the f.. is this dude on like that and he garbage".. well that dude understands that it take money to make money... these dudes is hustlin on the street to pay big money to be heard and to be on... money rules the game... it aint about how hot u is nomore... so yeah.. i would defenetly pay the right person...

oh yeah .. it also helps to build ur resume... more people will take u serious if your resume got names other than dudes u grew up wit...

Last edited:
i'd never pay a rapper to rap over my beat. nothing good and creative from them would really come from it. they need to feel it before a good track can be made.

im sorry but there are a million mcs on this planet and if you that hard up for money stop rappin and go work at mcd flip them burgers!!!!

dats bullshiznits mayne, who pays artists to rap over there beats, thats like me paying someone to be able to wash there car...

in the words of the illustrious virus... tha**** outa hea....

I think they would charge to make sure they get paid. If they rap on your beat and aren't insterested in putting the song on their own CD then how are they gonna get money selling it?

you can pay 'em and put it on your own CD and sell it yourself or get a diff. artist.

I'd think of it like an advancement. a performing artist can get an advancement on royalties for a song when its all through the label... but what if its an indy person like us? then they are gonna ask for some $$. I see it as the same thing.

you'd both still technically have to split the songwriter royalties though. so if you sell a bunch of copies you'd prob. have to break 'em off.

thats how I see it anyway. they have a name, a brand if you will. You can mess w/ Versaci or Foe-saci. they look the same, but some people pay for a name.

all that bein said, there are a few artists I'd pay to get on a track if I could sell it on my own CD which is what they probably were thinking you were doing if they were gonna charge you $$ to get on it.

I think some people are thinking "I have to pay them to feature me on their song" their standpoint is.. "you are paying them to be featured on YOUR song"

in other words, instead of using their publisher and you getting paid.. they are asking for money and wanting YOUR publisher to handle the distribution / selling of the track. Do all artists get on mixtapes for free? I doubt it. they get paid.

Last edited:
PriceWrite said:
I think they would charge to make sure they get paid. If they rap on your beat and aren't insterested in putting the song on their own CD then how are they gonna get money selling it?

you can pay 'em and put it on your own CD and sell it yourself or get a diff. artist.

I'd think of it like an advancement. a performing artist can get an advancement on royalties for a song when its all through the label... but what if its an indy person like us? then they are gonna ask for some $$. I see it as the same thing.

you'd both still technically have to split the songwriter royalties though. so if you sell a bunch of copies you'd prob. have to break 'em off.

thats how I see it anyway. they have a name, a brand if you will. You can mess w/ Versaci or Foe-saci. they look the same, but some people pay for a name.

all that bein said, there are a few artists I'd pay to get on a track if I could sell it on my own CD which is what they probably were thinking you were doing if they were gonna charge you $$ to get on it.

I think some people are thinking "I have to pay them to feature me on their song" their standpoint is.. "you are paying them to be featured on YOUR song"

in other words, instead of using their publisher and you getting paid.. they are asking for money and wanting YOUR publisher to handle the distribution / selling of the track. Do all artists get on mixtapes for free? I doubt it. they get paid.

i kinda see what you saying... like if one were to put together a compilation cd, you better pay the artist to get on that compilation. i guess that works.... that's very shady though on an artists end to crap on a ****ty producer though. for a big name producer, i doubt any rapper would do that or risk a bad rep in the industry. ie if j dilla put out a cd and wanted a bunch of artists featured on it, i dont think they'd charge dilla to drop a verse down would they?

also on another note, i wasn't puttin together the compilation but passing out beats to be worked on there own album. so, two diff situations, though i see your point in the situation i listed earlier.

Back