Organizing your Beats?

moodiggles

Quick question for everyone,
How do you guys organize all of your beats? I'm using Fl Studio and named my beats a bunch of random names. Now that I have quite a few beats I'm finding it hard to remember what beat is which. I want to organize them to make it a little easier to find a particular beat without having to open up a bunch of them until I find the right one. So, what are your guy's methods for organizing?

i think the best way to organize all the beats is to save every part of the beat + the drum pattern seperatly in wav format. then upload it to a file hoster. i should do that.

I used to save them by date, and the songs I exported to MP3 would be named and in a separate folder. It works to a certain extent lol.

i save them by genre and subgenre(like techno, house, electro house, trance)
and if i dont care about it then it goes into the main folder

I make file and name it Season 1, Season 2 etc, and make like 20 beats or so and place them into the Season 1 file and than i start making beats in the Season 2 file etc.
and before i start making beats i think of the name i'm going to name the beat and that'll be the climax of that beat.

Works for me

I try to incorporate the date and or feel of the beat to name it.
I had this one beat that had a misty feel to it but could definitely bang in the club so I named it "08 Mystic Banga"

Quick question for everyone,
How do you guys organize all of your beats? I'm using Fl Studio and named my beats a bunch of random names. Now that I have quite a few beats I'm finding it hard to remember what beat is which. I want to organize them to make it a little easier to find a particular beat without having to open up a bunch of them until I find the right one. So, what are your guy's methods for organizing?
I organise mine by genre and into seperate folders.

when i save my live sets in abelton i usually just name a beat using the first thing i think of when i think of that beat. thats the easiest way for me to find it if i have to go back later. like 'damn where's that beat with the high pitched horn riff? oh 'high_horns.als' got it."

I developed a habit while making beats in school and just named a folder of all the beats i did by year (freshman, soph, junior, senior) and then after graduation just making new folders every few months or so......
And beatwise what i do is give them names. Whatever name or title pops up in my head first is what i save it as. Date is always in the file

Project file names will be one of the 3...

INCOMPLETE-Beat Title
COMPLETE-Beat Title
SCRAPPED-Beat Title

doesnt seem like a good system because half the time I forget what the title was of the beat I was most recently workin on.

i think naming after the key is a bad idea...maybe its just me but the key isn't what helps me remember the beat lol moreso the vibe, instruments used, etc. if something influences me to make a beat, for my own purposes i name it after the influence--tells me a little about the beat that helps me to connect the title to the beat.

i'd say just name it after a distinct quality it has that will help you recall the beat

My beats listen to the craziest names because i´m too lazy! ;)
To folder your beats and do it everyday

I just name everything by what it sounds like/main instrument used. Also if i have some sort of vocal sample in there il name it whatever is being said. Its always easy to find the right project

i name all my files by number. most recent beat getting the higher number. Then i go thru with a fine tooth comb and collect all the beats that are keepers and copy them to a new folder, giving them a new unique name in the process.

Back