One thing about sampling

kmano

To all the guys who sample for a long time - would you say sampling is hard or easy? Even though Im new to all this, I think and most important I FEEL that Im starting to get what it's all about. Im not sayin that I mastered the sampling or even that Im good at it - because right now Im not, I just want to say that when you learn HOW to technically sample, it becomes much more easier than you think it is. It's jus couple of things you gotta follow, chop in certain places, arrange it, loop the best part, etc etc.. But after that, when you know the basics - which are not that hard as you might think, the hardest chapter begins - your creativity. Because I think everybody can learn how to sample the song and how to chop it, but only a few can make it sound special and great, and that's why your creativity and your vision is much more important than sampling itself. I played football for a long time and there was saying like this: all the team can play football, but most of the players are just foot-soldiers, and only a few are football ARTISTS. So, the same with the sampling :) You gotta dedicate to it and think for a bit longer time to make something real intresting.

Im not someone who should learn or give advices since Im just starting, but I just got those few thoughts I wanted to share with you FP :)

I started out on an old Akai rack sampler and once you have defeated that blue back light in a staring contest it's soul becomes yours.

It isn't easy to make a sample your own.

If someone hears a beat they've never heard before and immediately knows who was behind the production...that is when you know they are doing shit right.

Creativity is important but I think that finding the right samples is very important. I mean you can find a nice sample and work your ass off and make a nice beat or you can find something like that sample from Isley Brothers (It was a good day by Ice Cube), loop it, add some drums and you got a song which has 10 million views on youtube.
Im gettin my MPC2000xl in a month or something and Ive been practicing on my keyboard and FL studio. Drums arrangament is very important so I intend to put some time in that.

Sampling is hard at first but like anything else, with enough practice it becomes second nature. I started off sampling and still am part of the sampling culture.

It isn't easy to make a sample your own.

If someone hears a beat they've never heard before and immediately knows who was behind the production...that is when you know they are doing shit right.

To me that's the easiest thing "making the sample your own"

Everything in life is hard. You just have to practice. In regards to sampling though, the creativity of how you flip the sample I would say is the challenge. Just like your football analogy, anybody can sample, but not everyone can do it at the same level.

Sampling isn't really easy IMO.

I can't even count how many times I heard a sample, heard dope flip in my head, when I get down to really sampling the song, doesn't work.

Sampling to me is hard, i'm just starting out but i got the chops and shit down but I just cant seem to line everything up i.e. Making a full song out of it. I use FL Studio 10

Sampling will come in time! There are a million ways to get it done! I'm 80% sampled base and 20% from scratch. Depends on my mood...Sold my keys though...I need a new Midi Controller. Thinking of an MPD?

To all the guys who sample for a long time - would you say sampling is hard or easy? Even though Im new to all this, I think and most important I FEEL that Im starting to get what it's all about. Im not sayin that I mastered the sampling or even that Im good at it - because right now Im not, I just want to say that when you learn HOW to technically sample, it becomes much more easier than you think it is. It's jus couple of things you gotta follow, chop in certain places, arrange it, loop the best part, etc etc.. But after that, when you know the basics - which are not that hard as you might think, the hardest chapter begins - your creativity. Because I think everybody can learn how to sample the song and how to chop it, but only a few can make it sound special and great, and that's why your creativity and your vision is much more important than sampling itself. I played football for a long time and there was saying like this: all the team can play football, but most of the players are just foot-soldiers, and only a few are football ARTISTS. So, the same with the sampling :) You gotta dedicate to it and think for a bit longer time to make something real intresting.

Im not someone who should learn or give advices since Im just starting, but I just got those few thoughts I wanted to share with you FP :)
I agree with you bro!
YAKMUSIC.NET FACEBOOK.COM/YAKA405

i used to never sample, now its all i wanna do.

---------- Post added at 03:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:25 PM ----------

Sampling to me is hard, i'm just starting out but i got the chops and shit down but I just cant seem to line everything up i.e. Making a full song out of it. I use FL Studio 10

i use audacity to chop the shit, fl slicer to sample it, then i set the timing right etc, set the chop to "beat" and keep the bars 4, 8, or 16, unless i wanna do my thing with it but anyway, a good song to sample is the main thing.

nobody was born doctrinal fam. U need to learn ,to practice more, and u will become better and better in ur job, like everybody else :)

Sampling can be easy or hard, depending on how you approach it. Looping 'Funky Drummer' is easy. Chopping 'Smiling Billy Suite' and throwing some wack drums from a sound library on it is easy. Finding snippets of music from multiple genres and blending them into something original and coherent becomes much more difficult.

Last edited:
nobody was born doctrinal fam. U need to learn ,to practice more, and u will become better and better in ur job, like everybody else :)
What he said, sure it's hard at the beginning but with constant practice you'll gradually get better; I'm sure this can be applied to most aspects of life and what not. Also experiment with different sampling devices/programs if you're not comfortable with the one you're using now son

This a good thread....someone should give an example of how to make a sample your sound...I know yall dont wanna give away any secrets, but I think a lot of people could learn a lot from that.

Sampling will come in time! There are a million ways to get it done! I'm 80% sampled base and 20% from scratch. Depends on my mood...Sold my keys though...I need a new Midi Controller. Thinking of an MPD?

I have the MPD 18 and its dope, perfect for sampling...it's only like 75 $$$ too

Sampling is definitely an art form if executed right. Wth that being said, I think how you treat sampling can be hard or easy. There is a lot of work involved in searching for samples, chopping & flipping, etc. Its not that hard if you just loop things. But then again, there are some loops that are too dope not to loop!

Back