One thing about sampling

SupremeKKK

I think sampling on FL studio, which is what I am currently using and trying to master is really difficult. FL has a way of making a great melody sound like an old video game.

When i first started out i was sampling using cds into my computer through a 1/8th cable.
I still love to sample after all these years and love it.The most important thing i learned though was
to chop small and i never think of how the beat will sound,i just take the chops and let them tell me
where to go.ALOT of times when you hear a song you want to sample you hear a beat for it in your
head but the end result doesn't sound the same which can be frustrating.

Peace

the thing with sampling is that there really aren't limits if you truly break it down. there is SO MUCH you can do with a sample, pitch it down, loop it, chop it all that shit.

---------- Post added at 05:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 AM ----------

very true. i feel anyone can sample i mean it isnt rocket science just the WAY you sample is the part people get twisted

I totally agree, it just takes time and practice to create your own style of sampling. Chopping is cool sometimes, looping is cool sometimes, but there is so much more you can do with samples! using them as effects or dumping them into a sampler like Sampler or the EXS24 and making a synth out of it, there really are no limits

Sampling is easy, the hardest part is grabbing the correct portion of audio. You need to play in your head how the end of your section will transition into the start of the next loop. You can cut it out, loop it, and if it doesn't sound good you can readjust the section you grabbed.

Also, you need to have beat identifier or someway to match the tempo of your session and that of the sample.

In my experience(just my way of doing things)the hard part is finding the sample. I don't go looking for something to sample, it has to fall in my lap. I gotta just be listening to a record or watching a movie/show and hear something that catches my attention. Then I have to learn every part of the composition well enough to know what elements I want to use.

So the hard part for me is finding something to sample. I never know when it's gonna hit me until it does.

Last edited:
Any song that have sounds on it can be manipulated into something completely different. 'Try and fail' is what i do, that way i learn different methods, and finding out what to stick with and what to get rid of, what works and what don't. After some time I got a better ear for sounds, so sometimes i do what deRanged do, and if i just want to make a beat, i just find a song i know got some good sounds on it and just randomly slicin & fu*kin' wit it till it comes out good.

Sampling is easy, the hardest part is grabbing the correct portion of audio. You need to play in your head how the end of your section will transition into the start of the next loop. You can cut it out, loop it, and if it doesn't sound good you can readjust the section you grabbed.

Also, you need to have beat identifier or someway to match the tempo of your session and that of the sample.

Before I even set my loop points I already know how far apart they need to be based on the tempo so all I need to find is my starting point, it's something I figured out on hardware as punching in the numbers is way faster than wearing out the dial like some demented hunch backed safe cracker, once I have my starting point it takes me about 3 seconds to close the loop, including the math it takes me about 10 seconds total to make a perfect loop first time every time.

I'm just starting out, so my problems come in with timestretching & finding the tempo. to link up with what I'm trying to do. I've gotten a whole lot better, but still wreck my brain on what can I do with this sample to enhance the song

I'm just starting out, so my problems come in with timestretching & finding the tempo. to link up with what I'm trying to do. I've gotten a whole lot better, but still wreck my brain on what can I do with this sample to enhance the song

The BPM is easy to find,just use tap tempo(in your D.A.W,Hardware or standalone)
Once you have that,multiple it by the new BPM you want,then divide by hundred.
That will give you the percentage you need to stretch it to.
From there chopping should be easier.

Peace

Back