The Numark TTUSB turntable - good for sampling?

Giannis

Does anyone know how the Numark TTUSB turntable does as far as for sampling records. I'm not a hiphop producer mainly but I do alot of other other stuff and I would now like to incorporate some loops sampled off my record collection.

Do you think the Numark TTUSB would work or is it too low quality? In case it's too low quality - what should I look into?

Thanks,

Giannis

yea i thinks its a real good turntable....I just bought one myself

J-Cuse, it would be cool to hear what you think about after a few hours of work with - will ou let me know?

Pure Hype Production, I intend to use it for sampling some loops (I haven't thought about single hits yet) off my record collection. I don't know anything about cutting or scratching.

Pure Hype Production said:
If you intend on cutting and scratching its a piece of shyt.

obviously...its a belt drive.

no belt drives are suitable for scratching. dont misinform the kid.

Giannis said:
J-Cuse, it would be cool to hear what you think about after a few hours of work with - will ou let me know?

Pure Hype Production, I intend to use it for sampling some loops (I haven't thought about single hits yet) off my record collection. I don't know anything about cutting or scratching.

Its perfect for sampling loops and such. as far as one shot hits you can chop them after sampling from records as well. really you dont need anything special for sampling records as long as you dont intend on adding any traditional DJ ing techniques such as cutting and scratching this will soot you fine.

If you do want to get into turntablism type stuff in the future go for a direct drive turntable as opposed to a belt drive. you can find some direct drive sets at good prices as well.

TXbeatbang said:
obviously...its a belt drive.

no belt drives are suitable for scratching. dont misinform the kid.

there are some models of belt drive sets that you could manover the drive to scratch and cut with minimal slipage however in time the motors wear out and the belts start to slip. For real turntablism type stuff your right you gotta go with direct drive sets.

This particular set you couldnt get away with any non slipage at all its not even closely designed for backspinning at all. The needle just jumps of the record with the slightest touch.

Last edited:
there are some models of belt drive sets that you could manover the drive to scratch and cut with minimal slipage however in time the motors wear out and the belts start to slip. For real turntablism type stuff your right you gotta go with direct drive sets.

no belt drive tables would let you do decent cuts. you may be able to cut but it will sound like complete garbage. NEVER touch a belt drive for scratching.

Any usb turntable is good for sampling. All you need is a good needle and a good sound card so that you dont get fuzzy **** when you record. Any turntable will rip the music onto your computer. But not all tables are good for scratchin, you gotta make sure that it has the right belt.

Enndee said:
But not all tables are good for scratchin, you gotta make sure that it has the right belt.

you mean the right type of motor.

there's belt drive and direct drive.

direct drive is the way to go.

the high end tables also have better sound quality as the tone arms are constructed better.

Cap'n Crunk said:
no belt drive tables would let you do decent cuts. you may be able to cut but it will sound like complete garbage. NEVER touch a belt drive for scratching.

You say it would sound like garbage but its not the sound that gets effected by the use of belt drive as a matter of fact belt drive sets have a better sound quality than direct drive. I assume you never tried a belt drive table and you just repeating what you have heard or read right? I started out Djing in the late 80's and I couldnt afford direct drive sets right away so I purchased belt drive turntables I was winning Dj competitions on those sets and putting DJ's to shame that were using direct drive sets. They actually make better belt drive sets today geared towards scratching cutting and backspinning.

Nothing compares to direct drive turntables thats for sure and once I did purchase technique 1200's I never looked back. But if the funds arenet there I would tell someone to go with a top of the line belt drive If they couldnt afford the direct drive.

To many peeps on this forum just repeat what they have heard or read somewhere and its so annoying. chime in when you can speak from experiance otherwise you arent doing anyone any favors.

The phucked up thing was I agreed with you and you still found a way to continue arguing whats up with that? Do you just look for peeps to argue with on this forum or are you out to help those that need tips and pointers?

Last edited:
Yea its good for just sampling....you cant scratch like everyone else said....but for just sampling records its Real Good

You say it would sound like garbage but its not the sound that gets effected by the use of belt drive as a matter of fact belt drive sets have a better sound quality than direct drive. I assume you never tried a belt drive table and you just repeating what you have heard or read right? I started out Djing in the late 80's and I couldnt afford direct drive sets right away so I purchased belt drive turntables I was winning Dj competitions on those sets and putting DJ's to shame that were using direct drive sets. They actually make better belt drive sets today geared towards scratching cutting and backspinning.

let's get one thing straight. i've been in this game for years. i'm an active cat in the sqkratch game (under a diff alias) and i know my ****. don't believe me, i'll post a file.

but it IS a fact that the belt driven tables on the market right now don't have the same sound quality as direct drives. the tone arm on belt drives are not as well constructed as those on direct drives. it's not always a noticeable difference, but its there.

plus d00d, your mixing up what i said. i said that if you scratch on belt drives, it'll sound like garbage. the tone arm is what affects sounds quality as stated above and in another post.

the 80s were a completely different time. with belt drives today, you could not hang in the scratch scene. there is no way in HELL you could do cuts like the delayed 2 click flare on belt drives. plain and simple.

again, if you want to test my credibility, i'll post a file. it's nothing to me. you wanna battle? i'm down.

Last edited:
Cap'n Crunk said:
let's get one thing straight. i've been in this game for years. i'm an active cat in the sqkratch game (under a diff alias) and i know my ****. don't believe me, i'll post a file.

but it IS a fact that the belt driven tables on the market right now don't have the same sound quality as direct drives. the tone arm on belt drives are not as well constructed as those on direct drives. it's not always a noticeable difference, but its there.

plus d00d, your mixing up what i said. i said that if you scratch on belt drives, it'll sound like garbage. the tone arm is what affects sounds quality as stated above and in another post.

the 80s were a completely different time. with belt drives today, you could not hang in the scratch scene. there is no way in HELL you could do cuts like the delayed 2 click flare on belt drives. plain and simple.

again, if you want to test my credibility, i'll post a file. it's nothing to me. you wanna battle? i'm down.

Ok first off I too have been in this game for years. The motor in a belt drive turntable is set away from the platter in a belt loop. This minimizes vibration to the platter and thus causes less wow and flutter than a direct drive set wow and flutter definetly effects sound quality. Direct drive turntables also transmit more noise from the motor and bearing since it sits just below the platter therfore better sound quality form belt driven sets.

Now this is just a comparison of belt drive and direct drive when it comes to the Technics 1200 series turntables. Thats a different story they are heavy,stable and quiet, for direct drive tables thats for sure. 1200's are real road Warriors and built to last.

Once again nothing beats a direct drive turntable for DJ'ing we both seem to agree there. We disagree in the belt driven world weather or not you can scratch and cut I have done it in the past as well as many well know DJ's have. Of course its all in the slip mat being used to reduce the friction between the spinning platter and the record. As opposed to having better control of the platter on a direct drive set.

I dont see how you can prove your credibility on this by posting a file? Weather its good or bad how does that prove you know more about a belt drive turntable? its ovious you havent ever used one so really you arent a credible knowledge base for the subject.

I wish I had belt drive sets so I could battle you on them otherwise what does a battle between you and I prove? I have direct drive sets. I cant believe we are still arguing on this its retarded.

Last edited:
Ok first off I too have been in this game for years. The motor in a belt drive turntable is set away from the platter in a belt loop. This minimizes vibration to the platter and thus causes less wow and flutter than a direct drive set wow and flutter definetly effects sound quality. Direct drive turntables also transmit more noise from the motor and bearing since it sits just below the platter therfore better sound quality form belt driven sets.

while wow and flutter does slightly reduce sound quality, tone arm quality affects it more. yes, techs have better sound quality than belt drives, but so do the majority of other direct drive tables such as the numark ttx and the vestax pdx. you cant say that a belt drive will beat either of them in sound quality.... you just can't....

We disagree in the belt driven world weather or not you can scratch and cut I have done it in the past as well as many well know DJ's have. Of course its all in the slip mat being used to reduce the friction between the spinning platter and the record. As opposed to having better control of the platter on a direct drive set.

d00d, there's no way you can maintain the same hand control. no slipmat can make up for it. on a belt drive, you can do what? a few basic scratches? you just don't get the same response, plain and simple. a REAL tablist would be able to tell the difference. next you're gonna be telling me that the gemini scratch master works the same as the ttm56. FLOL.

I dont see how you can prove your credibility on this by posting a file? Weather its good or bad how does that prove you know more about a belt drive turntable? its ovious you havent ever used one so really you arent a credible knowledge base for the subject.

the thing is i have used them. i've used just about every table on the market excluding the controller 1, something i've doubt you've ever heard of.

I wish I had belt drive sets so I could battle you on them otherwise what does a battle between you and I prove? I have direct drive sets. I cant believe we are still arguing on this its retarded.

belt drive, direct drive, i'll still son you off the face of the earth. seriously... post a file. you can multitrack or use effects for all i care. i bet that i could rip a ****in freestyle ahhh h0arder than you can do a routine.

Last edited:
Cap'n Crunk said:
while wow and flutter does slightly reduce sound quality, tone arm quality affects it more. yes, techs have better sound quality than belt drives, but so do the majority of other direct drive tables such as the numark ttx and the vestax pdx. you cant say that a belt drive will beat either of them in sound quality.... you just can't....

d00d, there's no way you can maintain the same hand control. no slipmat can make up for it. on a belt drive, you can do what? a few basic scratches? you just don't get the same response, plain and simple. a REAL tablist would be able to tell the difference. next you're gonna be telling me that the gemini scratch master works the same as the ttm56. FLOL.

the thing is i have used them. i've used just about every table on the market excluding the controller 1, something i've doubt you've ever heard of.

belt drive, direct drive, i'll still son you off the face of the earth. seriously... post a file. you can multitrack or use effects for all i care. i bet that i could rip a ****in freestyle ahhh h0arder than you can do a routine.

Dude its like we are both beating a dead horse here. and we both make valid points why argue.

Unfourtunetly I dont compete in turntablism any longer just doing traditional DJ'ing now a days so I dont want to battle im sure you would kill me in a battle.

by the way I did hear of the controller ones I wish I had the money for one of them can you get them in the states yet? a while back they were selling for like 1399 and something a piece are they still that expensive? Maybe if I get one of those It would force me back into scratch Djing again and I can get my skill level back to compete with you one day. I will call you out when that day comes so you better be on point kid LOL.

Post me the file anyways Id like to check out your skills.

PEACE

Stay True

yeah you're right man. my bad for getting so defensive, i just don't like it when people question my skills in tablism. we coo.

yeah man, the controller one finally got released in the states. at the moment, it's 2000 in america but you can order it from japan (with voltage converter and shipping) for roughly 1300.

here's a link with specs:
http://www.turntablelab.com/dj_equipment/1/18/32597.html

here's a demo vid of ricci rucker killing it on the controller 1, manipulating the notes with a foot pedal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1gLdRlQRos&feature=related

i really want one, but i'd need to sell a kidney to get one lol.

Back