Newbie question... Looking for samples online?

plotneezy

Hello! I'm very new to producing, and this is only my second day digging for samples. Anyways, I've been digging all day online (I have no record store near me, and even if I did I'm 14 so I can't drive), looking on lp cover art sites for ideas, just googling stuff, going on discogs and the-breaks, watching Youtube videos, but I'm just not finding any samples which pop out to me. So, how do you guys find your samples on the net? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm really new to this.

When I was Dl'ing my samples off the net (ages ago) I had a few different methods..

Alot of consignment stores are full of records too.. When I wasnt driving, my grandma knew I was into vinyl so she would bring me home the most random cool shit after she went out thrift store shopping....

Youtube can be a great place to discover artists to sample too. If you hear an album you like from a particular artist. Try and pull up a zip or rar from them off filecrop.com.

Last edited:
Also try Spotify or Rdio. Rdio won't release there streaming bitrate info, but I know the premium version of Spotify streams in 320kbps. The free version I believe is 64kbps and if that's enough for you then go for it.

throw all of the previous comments out the window my dude. take it from someone who's been down that road.... start digging for records NOW! save your lunch money (you think i'm joking, but i'm serious). I'm not telling you to dig ONLY for the fact of having samples.... but mainly to gain music knowledge. It sounds soo ****ing cliche, i know... trust me i do. But if you want to perfect your craft, if you want to be immortal in music... you have to study what has worked in the past. I KNOW it doesnt seem like that matters now... but in time you will understand. I'm not telling you to torture yourself with records that you cant afford.

Save your money. Go to the thrift stores, record stores... check out the dollar bins. See a cover you like? cop it. take it home... dont like it? try another record next week, or in a couple days. You will eventually find something you like, even if you wouldnt sample it... i promise you will find some dope ass music. Build your music knowledge from there. Dont make it a big deal, dont make it difficult, just go out and check out the universe of music thats out there!! I guarantee you, you will be amazed at what you had no idea existed. And so it begins. Good luck my friend! i've planted the seeds.... its up to you water them and grow into greatness!

Thanks guys, I'm going to look on Soulseek and Youtube today, and I have a friend who is really into music so I'll arrange with him to go digging.

Imma lay all my E-diggin' secrets on the table, so listen up, Im never saying this again lol:

Listen to your favorite songs from your favorite artists then find out who they sampled. Google the person the sample is from and either go to discogs or wiki, when you get there, find out what album the sample is on and what year it was released. Now google type into google the album title, the year the album was released, and the words 'blogspot', 'mediafire', '**********' or 'uploading' behind the title. After you find a working link and a site hosting either a zip or rar file version of the album, dig through the album and find out if there's other samples on the album that you can use. If you cain't find anything, go through the rest of the artist's discog and download the rest of their albums until you find something.

Ps. It also helps to find out who produced a sampled artist's work cus they prolly have a signature sound that your feelin', for example, I like to sample Grover Washington Jr., David Mathews and Eumir Deodato so it only makes sense that I search for songs that Creed Taylor produced when lookin for samples as he produced all of my favorite artists to sample. ALSO, youtube can help you find samples. If you hear a sample you like, check the sidebar for other songs with interesting album art and titles, they might B good samples!

Hope this helped, enjoy and best of luck gettin' your carpal tunnel on!

In my opinion you can use anything, you just gotta be able to make itsound dope epending how well you cut it up and mix it

If you really really really want to E-dig, Youtube is a great place to start. There are lots of channels with (most times 1 genre) only music, from soul to funk to jazz. You could also, like mentioned before, check out blogs. Also a tiny, logical tip for e-digging for "rare" samples on youtube (except from that you actually have to "dig" on the internet):

The less views it has, the less likely it is to be sampled. Also check out Whosampled to check if it's sampled before.

As for finding the right sample.. The sample is right when it sounds right to YOU. Noone else. It's your taste in samples and your music that you're trying to create.

Besides all of this, (in my opinion, though I prefer it) it never hurts to really dig for vinyl records. It's fun and you're most likely to find rare or unflipped samples quicker than the internet. It's like getting presents (if you can't listen the record before buying it), you never know what you get!

Good luck.

Last edited:
there are different places to find copyright free or royalty free (and cost=FREE) stuff online.... might have to look around, but they're out there.... Simteks just put up a site and has some sick shit goin on there now and im hoping in the future, if you hit up Internet Archive, they got some fine stuff too (gotta make sure it says public domain tho) and, Bassadelic, (hint hint, hint hint) is an excellent resource for free samples. A few you can buy, there, as well, but lots of free shit. There's tons of samples out there on the interwebz

you know what torrents are? problem solved :topicclosed:

the only time you have to worry about copyright is if you make serious money from your tunes. I used Cubase for 5 years before I bought it... samples are much more random, try freesound.com...
I have uploaded loads of beats, hits and loops on this site under creative commons license ie: just go for it, unless you take a feeling for a track... then you just mention the sample author. free free free... (and only then if you make money from it).
Yes there is gold under the piles of sh!t on this site.

Last edited:
Try hooking up your DVD player or TV to something to record. I personally use a lot of samples I record from movies etc. Also portable digital recorders are great for found sounds. I still dig records from thrift shops, and sometimes hear tracks on youtube then look for a good quality DL to buy or physical record of that track.
Also this a great resource online is www (dot) audioBase (dot) com .. Recommended! Happy hunting!

Usually when I am sample blocked, and can't find anything that will jump out at me, I try and sample something I normally wouldn't sample. If you can't get your hands on vinyl ask your friends for CDs they don't listen to anymore, go dig your parents classical CDs. Listen to stuff you normally wouldn't listen to. Then sample it. You will never know what makes a good sample, for you, until you start experimenting with your craft.

In the end, digging crates is the greatest way to get your samples, as there's nothing like having a unique record of someones music and being able to sit back, relax and enjoy it, then slicing the hell out of it for your own creation.

Thrift stores pawn shops your grandmas drawer where she keeps her under garments there you will find your al green,marvin gay,tempations,and prince records lol

Spotify + iTunes.

I buy alot of music and support the artist since I sample heavily and prefer mp3/wav over YouTubes over compression of music.

Support the artists you sample and buy their music... its like buying the vinyl

Back