New to sampling

MarkySoliloquy

I have no idea where to begin.
At first I tried to chop the sample all crazy like at various lengths and then set polyphony to one so I could fool around and try to get a wild groove going but it sounded like bs! Then I tried the method used in most videos where they use a 4 bar loop then pitch change, find tempo and etc.. Then chop it 2 beats per chop of it so they could use the two beats per chop for each pad and in total their is sixteen pads. Then after doing it that way they fool with it and make a sampled beat.

My question is which method is better and also does the 4 bars i use have to be the intro and can i use more than one four bar loop for one beat i plan to make but the same sample or will that not work out?

It just takes time man believe me. I was in your position when I was just starting somethin like 6 months ago. When I listen to my favourite tracks it sounded like its real easy to make but when I tried to make it, it was a whole different story. So just learn your DAW, listen to music, and watch tutorials, it will come with time :)

1. It is easier to take a 4 bar loop and chop it into quarter notes (this allows you to use all 16 pads)
2. No the loop does not have to come from the intro
3. Yes you can use more than one 4 bar loop from the same sample typically songs will have multiple 4 bar loops that differ but follow the same chord progression so this allows you to layer sounds etc. but this is something that is hard to explain if you don't have much idea of what you're doing but it is actually really easy once you gain some understanding

The whole 4bar loop thing you mentioned, is just a method which makes it easier if you don't have the feeling yet.
just keep trying and you'll get a feeling of where to chop eventually

Honestly I feel your frustration, I use Ableton and I make Hip Hop. Idk how many of you are familiar with Ableton, but there aren't many tutorials on Hip hop for Ableton. There are tutorials on Sampler and Simpler which I thought would make it easier, but in the end I learned I was just frustarting myself by not knowing my DAW all the way through.

Another problem I had/have with my sampling is my MPD32. When I got my MPD32 I was so stoked and happy couldn't wait to sample and use the pads. Later I found out that an MPD simply isn't an MPC (Both pieces of hardware Idk how to use lol). I kept trying to do things with the MPD without even feeling the music. Just hoping to make music over pad combinations.

Lastly, I noticed after finally making my first sampled beat, that you can't make samples without knowing what you want. Don't get me wrong I've sampled beats before and been like "I didn't even inted to sample this song", but at the same time a producer should know what he wants to loop and what particular noise he wants looped. Otherwise it's just a waste of time thinking you're going to sample something because it sounds nice.

So here's my advice:
1.Learn your DAW to the best of your ability (Especially it's sampling abilities and benefits)
2.Learn you're Midi if you have one to utilize
3. Know you're loops, sound bytes, or whatever you actually desire in the record before thinking of sampling it.

Back