My way to beat copyright laws

Shannon Jack UK

Uk hiphop producer
I'm releasing free mix tapes this year 10 beats per c.d but at the end of the year on my website i want to release a mix tape and make money off it. As a sampled based producer your thinking im tripping right? Well...
On my own website i will host it for free download but to get the download link there will have to make a £5 donation not for the music but for the time that i spend on making music, so there not paying for the copyrighted music, there "donating" money for my time then in return they get the mixtape with 40 beats on. This will be told in the small print but i will make it look like there paying for the mix tape. Hmm... Just a thought what do you reckon?

hmmm.. you've really thought this through huh? :\

i'll give you the heads up, you might possibly get flamed for this thread... all good if you're still learning.

edit...

actually go ahead n' do what you're doing, i mean, if you're not making sales over 50k-100k then i'm sure no ones gonna come at you with a lawsuit.

Last edited:
Don't even bother with that, just have them pay for the mixtape. No one is gonna care unless your selling over 50k like eyensee said.

in essence they are still paying for the music. but like everyone else said i wouldn't worry about it unless you're jay-z.

@EYENSEE Nah not really i was just thinking today on the train and thought i will get some info off you guys on here.

@WEDGES2 & SMR Hmm i hear both of you i didn't know things was like that though thought you could get sued off making money from anything copyrighted.

Thanks for the advice i need to look into this alot more though

Technically you can, but who is gonna really file a lawsuit against someone who sold less than 50k copies of your stuff?

Put yourself in their shoes. You wouldn't do it even if you found out about it, and they aren't even gonna find out about it. lol

I'm releasing free mix tapes this year 10 beats per c.d but at the end of the year on my website i want to release a mix tape and make money off it. As a sampled based producer your thinking im tripping right? Well...
On my own website i will host it for free download but to get the download link there will have to make a £5 donation not for the music but for the time that i spend on making music, so there not paying for the copyrighted music, there "donating" money for my time then in return they get the mixtape with 40 beats on. This will be told in the small print but i will make it look like there paying for the mix tape. Hmm... Just a thought what do you reckon?

Won't work because you can't re distribute music without the consent of the owner of the copyrighted material. Nice try though.

I once knew a guy who used to sell weed.
He always used to say, I'm not sellin weed, I'm just selling the baggies..

Won't work because you can't re distribute music without the consent of the owner of the copyrighted material. Nice try though.

So what were doing on this site is illegal? Because somebody can post a flip and we can download it free on divshare. In the small print they would be told what the donation is for and the mixtape is for free. But unless you read the small print you wouldn't know, now how many people read the terms and conditions? 1 in every 10?

So what were doing on this site is illegal? Because somebody can post a flip and we can download it free on divshare. In the small print they would be told what the donation is for and the mixtape is for free. But unless you read the small print you wouldn't know, now how many people read the terms and conditions? 1 in every 10?

The downloading part is illegal. Same thing with the mixtape idea. It's not the selling it that's illegal it's the fact that you don't have the legal right to distribute the sampled material. But like someone else said though. If you're not doing above like 100,000 no one's really gonna care enough to sue unless they're a jerk. I mean you can't believe you're the first one to think of this.

I once knew a guy who used to sell weed.
He always used to say, I'm not sellin weed, I'm just selling the baggies..

lol but im not selling nothing in the eyes of the court, there donating money to me.

---------- Post added at 11:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 AM ----------

The downloading part is illegal. Same thing with the mixtape idea. It's not the selling it that's illegal it's the fact that you don't have the legal right to distribute the sampled material. But like someone else said though. If you're not doing above like 100,000 no one's really gonna care enough to sue unless they're a jerk. I mean you can't believe you're the first one to think of this.

Oh i hear you so thats the illegal part downloading hmm.. I thought they was harsher than that though. Nah i don't think im the first and wont be the last its not a thought through plan just something random that came into my head

Lol... you may not get a lawsuit at first, but I'm sure the IRS is going to dig in that ass when you're audited. That's when you'll be sued for re-distributing copyrighted materials. You could only beat this if you set up outside of the US. Move to China and you have a better chance of getting away with it... after loosing your US citizenship though.

EDIT: By the way... don't get confused thinking the company will sue you... nope. But the RIAA is going to be all over that.

Last edited:
LMAO at this thread. Man take a chance lol. But the whole "its not buying, they're donating" argument is TOO funny. So when I go to Burger King tonight for dinner, I aint buyin a meal, im donating for their time preparing my food. LMAO!

during the time that you did all this illegal scheming you could have been creating your own music to sell or enhancing your skills

how is coming up with a little idea (whether it good or bad) about making money off his music while he is on the train, a bad usage of time?
yall a bunch of clowns

Back