Matching your drums and tempo to your samples...

Nah Son

I'm learning about the basics of sampling and I've run into one big problem. I'm using Reason 4.0 and when I put my sample in, everything seems to be at different tempos. There is the project tempo and the sample's tempo from Recycle, and they don't match, so when I record some of the sample, they don't last to the end of the measure, or they last too long and then I can't loop it properly.

Should I change my project tempo to the sample's tempo? Or vice versa? Or is there another method altogether to make these things work together?

thanks in advance.

get a mpc 2500 and u should be good **** that software watered down **** ya heard

I just chop all my samples up and play them to the beat's tempo.

What exactly do you want to do? What's the sample? A drum loop?

Nah Son said:
I'm learning about the basics of sampling and I've run into one big problem. I'm using Reason 4.0 and when I put my sample in, everything seems to be at different tempos. There is the project tempo and the sample's tempo from Recycle, and they don't match, so when I record some of the sample, they don't last to the end of the measure, or they last too long and then I can't loop it properly.

Should I change my project tempo to the sample's tempo? Or vice versa? Or is there another method altogether to make these things work together?

thanks in advance.
Find out the bpm of your loop using bpmanylser or something then change the sample to what you want your track to be, you should use recycle too

Don't listen to that dood who said you NEED an mpc, thats not accurate at all!

All you need to do is determine your sample songs BPM....it doesn't have to be exact but it should be as close as possible. To do this you can simply turn on the metronome in Reason and play your sample selection in a media player...just try to get the clicks on beat.

OR you can work the sample around a new faster or slower tempo by creating a drum loop in Reason and then adjusting the pitch on each sample note on the nn-xt. This is as close to "time stretching" as I think reason is capable of....Check You Tube for videos on this.

I've only been using Reason for a year so I know about 10% of the programs capabilites...
and yah, definetely get a copy of recycle if you don't already. it makes chopping so much quicker.

good luck homey.

Last edited:
Try plugging the sample into the sequencer for as long as you're wanting it to go (4 measures, 2 measures, whatever), loop that section, and tweak the tempo of the track or the pitch of the loop until it fits.

Since you are using recycle, you should be able to transpose each chop to a different key on your MIDI controller and subsequently different keys on the sequencer's piano roll allowing you to play or sequence the samples' chops to the beat. If you find it doesn't quite roll as smoothly as you like, you could set up NN-XT to play the chops FW-BW to smooth out, or just creatively throw in other sounds or drums to round out the sound.

Get in there and make something of yourself!

Back