Matching hi hats/shakers with the sample

OntheComeUp

OntheComeUp
I'm having a serious problem. I need to figure this out because its a crucial part of making beats. With most samples I notice that when I lay the hi hats or shakers, there off tempo. There either too fast or too slow. Can someone help me figure out how to get them to play in sync? So far I've learned that its a matter of the two tempos being off but with a sample the loop plays perfect at a certain tempo and i cant change it at that point to accommodate the drums otherwise the sample plays off. So I'm in a real confusing situation I'd appreciate i someone could help me out.

Last edited:
Post up an example. You may get a reply better than "half-assed". You might have to speed up/slow down the sample whatever the case may be.

But if you are playing your sample at Tempo X, then if you play your cymbals at that tempo the should be no "off-time" issue.

you could first make a totally quantized loop of hihats or whatever rhytm sound (or metronome), and then make the sample fit your drums, not the other way around, which will become a mess in your daw. As you figured out how to make the sample fit to the rhythm of the song your making, you can add your rhythm parts in a more creative way (not quantized, special patterns etc).

Make your sample fit to your song, not the other way around! After that, add other stuff.

Practice man... I don't quantize so this is never a problem for me as i can follow the groove of the sample

Add a grove to it, loosen or take off the quantization grid. Add some delay as well and reverb.

What are you using to make your beats?

If it's DAW software have you got a hit point or beat detector? Each percussive hit within the sample can be pin pointed and it gives you markers to show where each one lands in the bar. You'd then turn quantize off and type in the position of the hit.

REX 2 files are great for this sort of thing as they slice the sample up for you, if you click on each hit, then check the location and move your own sample or midi note to the same one.

What cyko said. A sample looping at a particular tempo doesn't necessarily mean everything in between is hitting perfectly in time.

use the high hats from the original sample just copy it to another track and run a band pass filter find the frequency where those hats sit and boost em up

Post up an example. You may get a reply better than "half-assed". You might have to speed up/slow down the sample whatever the case may be.

But if you are playing your sample at Tempo X, then if you play your cymbals at that tempo the should be no "off-time" issue.

Yeah I figured that but I dont know how to play my drums at that same tempo except for laying them down with the sample. In which case it plays either too fast or too slow.

Yeah I figured that but I dont know how to play my drums at that same tempo except for laying them down with the sample. In which case it plays either too fast or too slow.

Play em out! Keep playin that shit til you get it or 'click' the hits in. Or you can quantize & give it that swing til it matchs the groove of the sample. Hopefully they're in tune....

I found that usually samples will B a LIL off cus most drums from things we sample weren't programmed, they were played live. The way I get around this is to either micro chop the sample so that the snares and hi hats match up with my own or I speed up/slow down/time stretch the sample. If all else fails, it may be easier to have the sample replayed

Back