Looking for a little insight on sampling techniques for soul/r&b...

The MH

I know there are a lot of different ways to go about sampling and everyone has different techniques and ways they approach a fresh sample. I just wanted to hear some thoughts from the FP community. As I only dabble in production from time to time when I'm not writing, recording and mixing my other projects, I do have a list of songs I want to sample and I'm looking to start soon (today). Recently I've been making a lot of failed attempts because I don't know where to start. But I wanted know what are you guys listening for when you are choosing sections of the sample? Do you just loop the drums or remake them? What do you do to make the sample less obvious? And any other useful tips you would like to add.

I have made a few sample songs which all sound pretty dope, but a more seasoned producer I know once told me "As you get more comfortable producing you will learn to use samples more as instruments and not just background music." or something like that. I don't want all my sampled tracks to have the background music effect.

Thanks for any input.

"I don't know where to start"
i read more than post on here, but i think everyone can agree that this is seen quite often and when if you think about it........you've already started. Honestly, think about it, you've found what you want to sample, obviously theres a part/parts you enjoy about your sample, so why not start there? Mess with that part you like it, put it together man. Experiment and have confidence in yourself fam.

"What are you guys listening for when you choose sections of a sample"
Like you, we are listening for parts we like....sometimes what we can use. I say parts we like because we may like that part, but we don't know what we gonna do with it, we just know we gonna do somethin with it. Some people only get joints they like, not what they can use we all are different man.

I say parts we can use, because even though that part may not sound good this way, it may sound better this way if i...maybe if i sped it up...nah what if brought the temp down...hmmm ya know what im sayin? Once again you must experiment and have confidence in yourself to bend sounds and samples to your will.

"do you loop the drums or remake them"
It's preference, if you want them to hit, smack, slap or whatever the term is, your better off layering them, layering helps people line up samples (a learning process of its own) and discover different drums, after a while you'll have a arsenal of drums each with their own purpose. Looping drums keeps the joint with a dirty drum sound which gives off a more natural sound (obviously)

What do you use to make samples sound less obvious?
Who cares? I don't, but some people do. My thing is, if the beat ain't dope i don't care how you masked it, freaked it, flipped it, cartwheeled it or whatever, but once again this comes from experimenting. Experiment with speed, if its a real slow sample....make it real fast! Play with the tempo, chop it up alot (but keep some kind of melody thats different from the original), like your man said you have to freak an already established sound to your own, make it bend to your will.

Useful tips
*Make beats with choruses
I don't hear alot of producers doing this anymore, but it builds creativity and skill alot. Reason being is because your forced to expand on whatever you've made a bit more with more of a purpose and who knows? You may end up using your chorus as a verse, if you don't like the chorus part you can always just take it out.

*Use a wide variety of Samples
Everyone loves soul, but everyone can't sample soul and that goes with every other genre. I firmly believe you must have a genuine appreciation for whatever your sampling to truly be successful within your beats. Get into psychedelic rock, house, hell! massage music. It's ok to have a foundation to sample from, but you gotta broaden your horizons man. Your boys may think your strange, but your sound will benefit from it. The good thing is you won't hear music the same, because you've been exposed to sounds and rhythms out of your element.

*Practice your craft
Ahhh its been said time and time again and after 0384023840284 years it remains true. Sampling and beatmaking is like lifting weights, stay at it and your bound to see gains, but dont forget some progress faster than others..."it's genetics" lol

*Learn from your influences
We all have influences that made our heads pop off when we heard them, thats the reason why some of us started producing (sampling or not) why not learn a thing or two and build your own art from it. Your influences did the same thing.

*Have confidence
Don't be cocky, believe in yourself, after you've sampled and made something you really enjoy. Shiiiittt you'll be unstoppable, now for that 1 dope joint u gotta make a 100 more and try to make every beat that good and better. Good luck man.

Last edited:
Preciate the insight bro and thanks for takin the time to type that up. Gotta a big workload ahead of me the next 2 weeks as I'm trying to make and select all the beats for my mixtape. And its been about a year since I last used samples so I'm just trying to refresh and get some ideas tossed around. The one I started with, I like the drums but couldn't get the tempo to sync up so I'm remaking them. Got a lil frustrating so I took a FP break lol.

Kalm Kid, thats a lot of usefull information for all of us here .
Thank you ver much!

yah that was some damn good info. I learned how to sample by just messing around. I would just sample and sample and sample and eventually have tons of loops. practice makes perfect, but perfect practice makes it even more perfect. take your time and dont rush the process there really is no wrong or right way if it sounds dope it sounds dope. somtimes i find a track thats just great and i want to sample it, i'll listen to it over and over again and really have it seep into my dome if you catch my drift then i start slicing and dicing. i agree with what kalm kid said about really being into the music your sampling, otherwise your samples are gunna sound lifeless cuz the "soul" of the original tune is colliding, but thats just my theory. have fun sampling.

I always chop the less obvious parts out and use very short (i.e. 1s, 2s, and less) segments of the sample. I try to get my chops down to the individual note level so you can replay your own melody via the sample chops. Some people like to let the samples ride out longer with their chops, but to me thats lead to a slew of very similar sound beats using the same sample. I've made beats with the same sample that sounded nothing alike. So experimentation is the key. I hate to be cliche, but there is not correct way to chop samples or create music. As long as you are happy with your results.

I usually start by finding a loop to chop up, I tend to chop 4 bar loops into quarter notes and sometimes I'll just take a 2 bar loop and chop it into 8th notes. I'll make a couple of patterns and also chop up a drum break for some drums of course.. After this I throw it all into fl studio to arrange the patterns, add layers, make a bassline and mix. This is just a basic outline of how I make my beats

Yeah I learned by chopping individual sounds. This way is always fun because you can flip it into something completely different. I guess I'm just a little rusty in FL because I've been using Reason more lately. Thanks for the discussion folks. Bout to get back to this beat and make it happen.

Back