Lazy Sampling?

you do what u gotta do to get the sound u wanna get. i dont really care if i gotta loop something, chop it up and re-arrange, or compose.

Damn I miss this forum.

I had to read thru this one... I taught myself sampling so I entered the field without a real grasp of theory... that being said, I kinda for the most part always would chop up songs and flip the pieces, and it's not often at all I just see a loop I'd build an entire beat on... lazy, no, I'd never judge methods and believe in 100% creativity, but opening my mind to it, I can see how it'd make producing super easy... I try and tap my creativity as much as possible but I've learned that sometimes simplicity is best. Think I'm gonna keep the looping in mind...

Sometimes you can play on top of the loops too so even though you might not rearrange the sample, some producers will add different instruments and sounds on top of the loop to make it sound different from the original

a lot of hip hop songs are made off of loops ... a lot of other music are based around loops ... thats not laziness when it comes to sampling because find a good loop with a nice groove takes a good ear and you may have to do a bit of digging ... so i guess it is what it is but some classic songs are loops.

A perfect example is "The World is yours" by Nas. Listen to "I love music" by ahmad jamal and when you find the sample tell me if it was in any way shape or form lazy to take that part of the song and give it a whole new existence. Sometimes things call to be looped, you said you liked Dilla some of his craziest beats were loops, "One Beer" by Doom is a loop, but its a genius one done by Madlib. At the end of the day the only question that should matter is "Does it sound good?"

A perfect example is "The World is yours" by Nas. Listen to "I love music" by ahmad jamal and when you find the sample tell me if it was in any way shape or form lazy to take that part of the song and give it a whole new existence. Sometimes things call to be looped, you said you liked Dilla some of his craziest beats were loops, "One Beer" by Doom is a loop, but its a genius one done by Madlib. At the end of the day the only question that should matter is "Does it sound good?"

I think the point is as a producer the best skill you have to learn is when to leave things alone, and let them speak for themselves, i feel like people tend to think that the more you chop a sample the better its gonna be, that more work equals better beats, when that's not always the case like nipharu said in end does it sound good if you agree then go with your gut

I haven't gone through the answers to this so someone might have already said this but you're basically saying 95% of classic hip-hop is stupid. Listen to Biggie, Nas, Tupac. They all had full loops, that's what they did in the 90s. One of my favorites it Nas' N. Y. State of mind Prod. by DJ Premier. (A.K.A. the O.G. producer who used full loops ALL THE TIME) look it up on whosampled.com He used like 5 different tracks to make that song but even if he didn't check out Mind Rain by Joe Chambers. Listen to that song and try to find the sample Premier used... that's why it isn't "lazy sampling" Now tell me this... Is the song Touch The Sky by Kanye West as a whole similar to Move on Up by Curtis Mayfield? No. Move on Up is soul and Touch the Sky is Hip-Hop. Kanye took a section out of a song and made it something new. The hard part is finding a good sample using it's emotion to make a brand new song. It's honestly easier to find samples if you're going to chop it. Of course while you're making the beat chopping is harder than using a loop. It's just different. And I'm not saying this to be mean I'm saying it as a friend... you really need to get your hip-hop knowledge up if you're hating on sampling. Cause it's the foundation of hip-hop music. Love you.

Sometimes chopping works, sometimes looping is the better option, sometimes it's even smarter to realize that samples can be played like synths and synths can be used as samples too, I think someone said earlier that there is levels to this shit that's not being discussed.

From a producers point of view, you're always going to be getting heavy analysis when you're sampling I guess. There's a fine (in fact even fuzzy) line between "lazy sampling" and creating something fresh and different.

I know it might seem easy to point the finger at a producer with such great commercial success as Kanye West as being lazy with his samples but if you actually think that sample in particular (Touch the Sky) is lazy than maybe you need to learn more about the practice of sampling and what it takes to achieve that sound. On a more important note: Just Blaze makes great beats. You know, the guy who actually made it.

I know it might seem easy to point the finger at a producer with such great commercial success as Kanye West as being lazy with his samples but if you actually think that sample in particular (Touch the Sky) is lazy than maybe you need to learn more about the practice of sampling and what it takes to achieve that sound.

I've actually got 2 problems with Kanye. Neither of them are about his sample choice or style of sampling...

The first is his excessive use of autotune and as such 'the' excessive use of autotune within the genre; since he started using it excessively.
I f*%k#*g hate f*%k#*g autotune!

The second is that he's a massive tit.

Other than that - and despite personally preferring a flipped beat to a looped one (and Kanye does both very well)- I absolutely agree with you.

Last edited:
A lot of cats skip learning how to make and work with loops because chopping to bang shit out with one finger is easier for them and it feels more creative....but getting into the technical side of looping can be far more complex.

Back