Is knowing the BPM of a sample important?

bpm of a sample when dealing with bars is very important to me, but for one shot not really depends on how many beats are in it the one shot.

One shots don't have to be the same tempo as your track it just has to fit in the pockets of your song.

Last edited:
i dont see why it would matter at all.. the beat you create will probably be a different tempo from the song youre sampling.

yes it is important.. you don't want your sample to be drifting off the beat, because it will sound awkward and out of place. you don't necessarily have to make your beat the same tempo as the sample. I dont know what type of setup you got, but you can easily manipulate the sample to fit the tempo of your beat by stretching the time without changing the pitch. you also want your sample to lay over an even amount of bars if you'll be looping it. Trust me, you'll know if your sample is on beat..

instant classic said:
yes it is important.. you don't want your sample to be drifting off the beat, because it will sound awkward and out of place. you don't necessarily have to make your beat the same tempo as the sample. I dont know what type of setup you got, but you can easily manipulate the sample to fit the tempo of your beat by stretching the time without changing the pitch. you also want your sample to lay over an even amount of bars if you'll be looping it. Trust me, you'll know if your sample is on beat..

well yeah i guess what im saying is cutting chops precise makes it so you dont have to worry about tempo. i just make sure my samples are cut into precise bars and time stretch if necessary. for example if i cut three 2 bar loops from a sample, i time stretch each two bar chop to the exact same length. that way even if its stretched and the pitch changes, each chop's pitch changes by the same amount. i guess that doesnt work for all setups?

if you slice samples up good enough, you don't have to worry about that stuff

J_unda said:
if you slice samples up good enough, you don't have to worry about that stuff

agreed but even so knowing the original bpm is helpfull b/c it helps you set a basic foundation for the beat.

if i don't slice it well i just time stretch in fl to the # of bars i want and then use elastique (tonal). you don't need to make sure one shots have the same tempo lol, the sound is usually less the a second.

BPM really doesn't matter its whether you can find out how to chop it. I chopped a joint that was 100 + bpm's and the track I ended up making was only about 89-90 bpm's. Just on example.

Last edited:
timestrecth is a neccesity. you really don't need to use it anyless your doing like some Just blaze vocal wave lengthing....

but it doesn't matter to me what the BPM is as long as it sounds good to your ears...

Back