Is Kanye a genius with samples?

first of all i'm a big kanye fan... his music is what got me in this game in the first place...

when i read the dream's comment saying that kanye is better than dilla, i was like get the fu*k out of here... dilla was whole another level as an artist… but that comment made me think…

How come when someone talks about top 5 hip-hop producers of all time and his name is often left out? Are people ashamed that they like his records? Is it because he's such a d*ck? Naaw, you're just jealous he's getting paid. He had hit records producing for both hip-hop and r&b artists… worked with some of the hottest name in the game… produced majority of classic albums like „the blueprint“ and „be“… production on all of his albums was extraordinary and different in a good way.
He may not have the sickest drums or even chop his samples. He doesn't get his finger dusty like dilla did. But still his tracks go hard. And, YES some of his songs are CLASSICS. He is more than just mainstream artist.
He did more than just jack rza's style... yes, rza was major influence to him but he DID develop his own signature sound. after college dropout dropped, everyone wanted to sound like kanye west. you probably did too. i know i did.
On his later albums, he grew as an artist. Changed his style. Did more than hip-hop. Work with other producers. He may not be the only man behind the boards, most of producers use musicians to play melodies they had in mind. But he is behind the track, his ideas, his big ego and work ethics that allows him to perfect his tracks.
He's the hottest name in the game right now and he surely will bring more hits. 50 years from now, his music will still matter along with productions from greats like j dilla, premo, pete rock… I'm sure he'll be acknowledged as an legend.

I still do not agree that kanye is better than dilla, no one can even touch dilla's level but i do agree that he IS truly a genius and he's definitely in my top 5 producer list…
Kanye is a very good producer. I think one of the best of the 2000s but hes not top 5. Top 5 would be too hard and he just comes short. I can think of 10 producers who has made better classic records than Kanye. Just Blaze, Dj Premier, Dilla, Pete Rock, Rza, The Bomb Squad, Erick Sermon (who is very slept on), Timbaland, Dr. Dre, Dj Quik and those are just names off the top. As far as his style of beats cats started doin that after him and the heatmakers started doing it around 2001 when the Blueprint dropped. I loved that sound and you are right everyone was doing it. That was just something that RZA did too just not as often. Rza sped up his soul samples to match his drum loops. The big difference is mostly that he chopped his stuff more.

One day you'll all realize all this sh*t is pressing buttons, and any one lucky enough to be broadcasted worldwide is gonna be praised for doing the same thing a dedicated 15 year old could do on his mom's computer with a hacked ver. of fruity loops.

Not taking anything from these guys....trying to give something to those who go unmentioned because they're not in the limelight. I've heard dope tracks and wack as f**k tracks from novice and professional producers.

Kanye is no god of music. No one is. Some are just given paths to convince you they are.

One day you'll all realize all this sh*t is pressing buttons, and any one lucky enough to be broadcasted worldwide is gonna be praised for doing the same thing a dedicated 15 year old could do on his mom's computer with a hacked ver. of fruity loops.

BAM!!! Thats what I'm sayin. Even though I think with music and art in general, who actually put it out there first even if it is simple as hell, and thought of it originally do count. But ya alot of producers are thought of to highly.

@ Xab, Nice beat dude I like it. Good lookin kid too....one day you'll be able to pull this out and show him what you made for his 1st bday. Awesome

Last edited:
If you want someone who's much better than Kanye at beatmaking, look at Swizz Beatz. Seriously, the guy just sh*ts hot tracks all day long. I can listen to a CD, and immediately pick out songs he's worked on from the sound and head-nodding they induce.

Kanye << Swizz < RZA imo

J Dilla is kinda off to the side for me. Mad respect for his stuff, but I'm really just getting into more of Dilla's music so I can't place him.

I don't think it's really sampling that defines Kanye West.

I don't think of Kanye when I'm record digging.

I remember the stuff he did with Killah Priest, he didn't even use a sample in that.

I don't think Kanye does too much himself now days. He just hire someone to play piano, guitar, drums.

He's made some DOPE beats tho.

My favourite beat from him is camron's forever

youtube.com/watch?v=OcHi-Na0aiM

He ain't even in the top 100 IMO.
i agree cause how can some kid on youtube remake something that kanye did and they can produce there own style of beats? kanye must not be all that good. i mean theres alot of good producers beats that can be remade,but kanye is kind of simple IMO. he is by far better than me,but to me hes nothing special.for me being producer, i dont think hes special, but as a listener i think his beats are pretty dope. he doesnt compare to alot of people tho. even dudes her in FP are better than kanye IMO.

Kanye doesn't just sell beats, he sells an image/persona. He differentiated himself from other producers and how he differentiated himself is based on opinion - was it his sampling style? or was it his cocky attitude? ect ect.

Have you guys not heard College Dropout?

Who cares if he looped, he makes GREAT music. Who cares is he doesn't chop up stuff into tiny little pieces to make it sound completely different.

and what exactly what are you saying? Is Kanye a sample genius?
Well, I say he is, he could take a Ray Charles song from the 50's and turn it into a SMASH single.

He is a "Musical Genius". Period.

Anyone want to debate that?

Everyone has, and is entitled to, an opinion.
Debating opinions would be pointless and go nowhere.

EDIT: Would be entertaining though lol I'd watch

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone has, and is entitled to an opinion.
Debating opinions would be pointless and go nowhere.
Agreed

You could debate and compare styles/sales/etc and get nowhere fast.

I think I'm going to start a thread in the Rap and Hip-Hop section on how Soulja Boy Tell 'Em is the greatest musician since the dawn of mankind :sing:and debate it knowing that it's wrong and can't be proved by comparing him to (insert rapper here) and havin a biased opinion on whats what or who's who or um...uhh... sh** for give me I forgot where I was going With that one

Last edited:
Have you guys not heard College Dropout?

Who cares if he looped, he makes GREAT music. Who cares is he doesn't chop up stuff into tiny little pieces to make it sound completely different.

and what exactly what are you saying? Is Kanye a sample genius?
Well, I say he is, he could take a Ray Charles song from the 50's and turn it into a SMASH single.

He is a "Musical Genius". Period.

Anyone want to debate that?

Debating opinions is useless as the guy above me posted. But I will say for all his or *insert avg mainstream producer's name* "musical genius", I can go on soundclick, find a beat, lie, say he made it and have you beleiving that beat is helping you win your debate.

It's just music. End of the day, ask the right person and they'll say he's horrible as they ride off bumping Soulja boy. Nothing wrong with that.

Just saying I wish folk on this site would start acting like "future producers" and quit putting others on pedistals.

If you're not better than Kanye in your mind and can't do everything he does musically, why would you think you even have a chance at this sh*t.

Fans buy the albums. They don't produce them. Sounds big headed or harsh? Just shows where you at. :cheers:

If you want someone who's much better than Kanye at beatmaking, look at Swizz Beatz. Seriously, the guy just sh*ts hot tracks all day long. I can listen to a CD, and immediately pick out songs he's worked on from the sound and head-nodding they induce.

Kanye << Swizz < RZA imo

J Dilla is kinda off to the side for me. Mad respect for his stuff, but I'm really just getting into more of Dilla's music so I can't place him.
Swizzys old stuff was crazy. The stuff he 1st did with DMX. Hell the only wack beat he ever gave DMX (im probably gonna catch hate for this one) was Party Up. I have never liked that beat or the song for that matter. To me it kinda ruined an otherwise great album. But I don't like much of the stuff that came out after he did the joint with Slim Thugg and Beyonce. Some of his stuff for Cassidy is cool but naw hes not better than Rza or Kanye

---------- Post added at 08:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 PM ----------

I don't think it's really sampling that defines Kanye West.

I don't think of Kanye when I'm record digging.

I remember the stuff he did with Killah Priest, he didn't even use a sample in that.
Does sampling define any producer? I mean really in the long scheme of things do people who don't produce look at Kanye and say oh hes just a dude who samples or do they look at the body of music for what they hear providing they never heard the samples before. Trying to define any producer who samples and is good or even great at it kind of cheapens what they have done because people associate sampling with someone did it for you.

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

I don't think Kanye does too much himself now days. He just hire someone to play piano, guitar, drums.

He's made some DOPE beats tho.

My favourite beat from him is camron's forever

youtube.com/watch?v=OcHi-Na0aiM

Kanye doesn't do much? Producing isnt just beats though. Thats like saying Quincy Jones or Puff or Dr Dre doesnt do much because they hire session players to play whats in their head or to help turn their vision into sound. I know if I had the chance to produce at that level and I could I would have a band myself. Id do it Dr Dre style and it would be a big jam session with me on my mpc and everyone else playing their respective instrument.

---------- Post added at 08:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 PM ----------

i agree cause how can some kid on youtube remake something that kanye did and they can produce there own style of beats? kanye must not be all that good. i mean theres alot of good producers beats that can be remade,but kanye is kind of simple IMO. he is by far better than me,but to me hes nothing special.for me being producer, i dont think hes special, but as a listener i think his beats are pretty dope. he doesnt compare to alot of people tho. even dudes her in FP are better than kanye IMO.
Most beats are simple and easy to recreate atleast the good ones. If you have all of the sounds and tools that one used to make a certain beat why couldn't we all just remake it? Since when did complexity mean good or bad? I've heard a lot of wack ass complex beats and a lot of amazing simple ones.

Back