jazz artists to sample?

If I gave you my favourites you'd use them. Not only do I not really want that (if I can help it) but you also have to form your own digging journey. It's important.

But I'm nice so...

Start with a couple classic albums - John Coltrane (HalfNote), Herb Hancock etc...
A quick Google search of "classic jazz albums" is worth your time... From there search for things that associated players also featured on (cos if it's a great album the the guys in that record were hired to be on other great records) were in; or if they have solo records.
Same applies to genres outside of jazz.

Other good digging tips include:
Avoid records with African wildlife (or Tigers which obvs are Indian) on the cover.
If there's more than one Afro on the cover the disc most likely (unless they're wearing PVC) contains fire.
(Similarly) A picture of an aging black man, smoking (roll ups are best) almost guarantees a fantastic record.
Avoid 1987. Nothing good came out that year.
If fire is on the cover. Fire is on the disc.
If the cover is fire damaged then the disc is likely damaged as well.

If I gave you my favourites you'd use them. Not only do I not really want that (if I can help it) but you also have to form your own digging journey. It's important.

But I'm nice so...

Start with a couple classic albums - John Coltrane (HalfNote), Herb Hancock etc...
A quick Google search of "classic jazz albums" is worth your time... From there search for things that associated players also featured on (cos if it's a great album the the guys in that record were hired to be on other great records) were in; or if they have solo records.
Same applies to genres outside of jazz.

Other good digging tips include:
Avoid records with African wildlife (or Tigers which obvs are Indian) on the cover.
If there's more than one Afro on the cover the disc most likely (unless they're wearing PVC) contains fire.
(Similarly) A picture of an aging black man, smoking (roll ups are best) almost guarantees a fantastic record.
Avoid 1987. Nothing good came out that year.
If fire is on the cover. Fire is on the disc.
If the cover is fire damaged then the disc is likely damaged as well.

Ha! I feel the same way, but in the digital age, almost no coveted rare sample is safe!...except this one I heard on late night jazz station and the only way to get it is a record that costs over $100...anyway hah

Comedic value with some good advice, rare form of encouragement, but one of the best.

I'd say that what you asked for was already summed up besides the ones I don't want to share.:cheers::monkey:
A lot of these older styles and musicians from this era are good to listen to just for new ideas, so you'll learn while you dig. Happy hunting.

good advice man, sucks about 1987 that's the year I was born in lol, gotta find a good vinyl from that year now to make me feel better

if you're looking for something from the 80s try David Sanborn. all his stuff was produced by Marcus Miller at the time. he is the cat that produced Miles Davis in the 80s and Luther Vandross.

Moving beyond North American jazz music can be beneficial too. You can find a lot of great Brazilian jazz musicians.

Moving beyond North American jazz music can be beneficial too. You can find a lot of great Brazilian jazz musicians.
Agreed. But I'd go further and say that you shouldn't be afraid of crossing over to other genres entirely.
I picked up a Greek folk lp recently and bazuki's chop beautifully - had a straight banger in minutes.
Sometimes I'll go digging with the intention of picking up samples of instruments I don't have in the bank.
World music crates are worth looking through.

Last edited:
Agreed. But I'd go further and say that you shouldn't be afraid of crossing over to other genres entirely.
I picked up a Greek folk lp recently and bazuki's chop beautifully - had a straight banger in minutes.
Sometimes I'll go digging with the intention of picking up samples of instruments I don't have in the bank.
World music crates are worth looking through.

100% agree with this.

But if you're intent on Jazz then you can't go wrong with Bob James, Grover Washington Jr, although both have been heavily sampled (especially Bob James).

If you want to go a little more leftfield try listening to Michael Urbaniak also.

100% agree with this.

But if you're intent on Jazz then you can't go wrong with Bob James, Grover Washington Jr, although both have been heavily sampled (especially Bob James).

If you want to go a little more leftfield try listening to Michael Urbaniak also.

Damnit! Don't tell man about Grover!!

Are any of you guys into any of the contemporary jazz stuff? I saw the mention of Urbaniak and it got me wondering if anyone else is into the weird.

Some pretty good stuff out there. Ive been finding some pretty dope percussion solos for chopping/rearranging and some really good breaks here and there. There's stuff ranging from the absolute strange and avant-garde to very groovy.

Even if its just for learning composition sake, Kamasi Washington is dope af. His new album is great and worth listening to.

So just a heads up to OP that there is some recent jazz releases worth checking out too. You can prob navigate around youtube and find some great artists.

Another name that comes to mind from artists from the past at the moment is Albert Ayer.

Happy hunting

Last edited:
Damnit! Don't tell man about Grover!!

Haha I was assuming he is well known enough amongst anyone serious about sampling jazz, especially as he's been sampled so frequently before! Sorry dude haha, there's plenty of other stuff being kept secret though!

just find a song you'd sample, look on discogs at who was playing what and look at them on different records

i've found loads of samples that way

look at different countries, i like polish/russian/japanese jazz/soul music but i've found samples in all kinds of music

Hi dude!
Try with Don Cherry or Freddie Hubbard (the last is my favorite)
I like to sample some movies like Trainspotting too.

Back