Is internet digging really digging?

Cypha Signals

I've been digging through the internet for YEARS and I feel like it's not really "TRUE" digging. I love hip-hop, I'm embodied into the cultrue to the point, I now understand the culture at it's truest, and I almost feel as though digging on the internet is borderline disrespectful to the culture. Anyone else feel this way?

I feel you can find samples anywhere...the creativity comes in how rare the sample is and how you flip it. By "rare" I mean...for example, I remember Canei Finch doing a beat showcase where he flipped the theme song to "Pokemon". Everyone';s heard it, but I had never heard it sampled, nor would I have thought to in a million years. IDGAF if he got that from Vinyl, Youtube, Netflix, a DVD, a CD, or just plugged in to his TV when the show was coming on. It didn't matter how he got it, the song was hot, and the flip was clever. "Rare" can of course mean you found a song no one else has used...it can also mean you found a part of a song sampled to death that no one has utilized yet. Thanks to the net, there aren't many records that can't be found these days. But look beyond records, you have thousands of videos loaded to the net daily that can be sources for great sounds. Vine, Youtube, Pandora, Netflix, Hulu, Last FM, Vevo, Vimeo, ect, you have endless sources of recordings beyond recorded songs. Plenty of stuff you can take a clip from here and there without ever facing any legal repercussions because of the nature of the samples(if cut/flipped right). The world is yours.

http://www.last.fm/music/Canei+Finch/_/Pokemon

Last edited:
With all that being said, maybe the "digging" days are over? Everything I get is from some digital origin. I think maybe 2 beats were ACTUALLY samples directly from a vinyl. I used to call it "sonic hunting" when I was younger because I knew digging was specific to actual vinyl. I have a strong feeling that's where sampling is going (the internet/digital) so we might as well start coming up a term now. "Ripping", "cutting","YouSampling" just to name a few is what I'm been hearing.

Digging is about the feeling you get when you find something Dope. Doesnt matter where you find it. IMO

Digging is digging not matter where you find the song. It will be useful for a lot of new producers to not have to buy a record player and records in order to sample. It's much cheaper that way and efficient.

Digging is about the feeling you get when you find something Dope. Doesnt matter where you find it. IMO
Agreed 100%. There's some ill stuff out there on the net, possibly that wouldn't be able to be found in stores because the vinyl could be out of print. I can vouch and say some of the stuff I've flipped would take forever to find physical copies of. Now, this doesn't mean I don't respect or eventually want to start physically digging. Vinyl, is of course higher quality than MP3, and this is a factor most important when chopping up breaks.

Vinyl, is of course higher quality than MP3, and this is a factor most important when chopping up breaks.

Not true. MP3 quality is left to kbps and the encoder. They can reflect wave quality to the point there's no noticeable difference when correctly rendered. Vinyl is a lower quality than 44/16(can't remember what, but lower). So...an mp3 rip of vinyl may not be better than the real thing, but a digitally remastered mp3 of a recording originally on vinyl is more than likely going to sound better. Then, there's other factors to consider. If I rip an mp3 from vinyl to work with inside a DAW where I can process in a stereo 64 bit environment, i'm getting a better sound than o;d school vets who were running from vinyl to mono 8-12bit 11-22khz loops to have room on an old sampler that maxed out at like 1.2mb of sampling time.

Now, think about how great it would sound to sample an mp3 from itunes into a DAW in comparison to other outlets being discussed.

Digging on the internet can't be borderline disrespectful to the culture because the truth is that the pioneers of sampling used vinyl for one reason only:

Because it's what they had.

Do you really believe that if the internet were publicly available during the dawn of and golden era of hip hop, and a site like YouTube existed, that they wouldn't have sampled from YouTube? I don't buy that and that's why I don't think every sample has to come from vinyl and I don't think the people that dig in the crates, find weird Turkish psychedelic rock records for 75 cents, and find three possibly useful samples should be any more respected or seen as preserving the culture than someone who snakes his way through YouTube to find the same record.

Digging on the internet can't be borderline disrespectful to the culture because the truth is that the pioneers of sampling used vinyl for one reason only:

Because it's what they had.

Do you really believe that if the internet were publicly available during the dawn of and golden era of hip hop, and a site like YouTube existed, that they wouldn't have sampled from YouTube? I don't buy that and that's why I don't think every sample has to come from vinyl and I don't think the people that dig in the crates, find weird Turkish psychedelic rock records for 75 cents, and find three possibly useful samples should be any more respected or seen as preserving the culture than someone who snakes his way through YouTube to find the same record.

and if the net and digital music existing from the onset of the recording industry, there would never have been vinyl records. No reason to feel obligated to utilize an obsolete media just because it was the only media at that time. They recorded on 8 tracks too, should you go get an 8 track recorder and sample 8 tracks, lol.

I sample both vynil and mp3/youtube. Personally I just really like to dig in a record store and collect records, just because it's fun to me. but whenever i find something I want to sample on youtube I'll just go ahead and sample that. You should dig vynil if you like the proces, but not just because that's what they did in the old days.

One of the most important parts of hiphop to me is that we are able to make art with whatever is at our disposal, so if that's only vynil you go ahead and use vynil, if it's only youtube, go ahead and sample from youtube.

No.. But it makes it more easy and faster to get tracks.

Word. I can only listen to my vinyl when I'm at home, but i have YouTube/vevo with me at work computer, ipad, laptop, and on my phone so I can listen for samples while on the go. Its way easier to go home with a few sample ideas I've gotten throughout the day than to go home and have to scan through my vinyl.

Last edited:
Not true. MP3 quality is left to kbps and the encoder. They can reflect wave quality to the point there's no noticeable difference when correctly rendered. Vinyl is a lower quality than 44/16(can't remember what, but lower). So...an mp3 rip of vinyl may not be better than the real thing, but a digitally remastered mp3 of a recording originally on vinyl is more than likely going to sound better. Then, there's other factors to consider. If I rip an mp3 from vinyl to work with inside a DAW where I can process in a stereo 64 bit environment, i'm getting a better sound than o;d school vets who were running from vinyl to mono 8-12bit 11-22khz loops to have room on an old sampler that maxed out at like 1.2mb of sampling time.

Now, think about how great it would sound to sample an mp3 from itunes into a DAW in comparison to other outlets being discussed.

Quality is definitely somthing I always considered when digitally digging. It's funny to get on this topic because with digging digitally, you (IMO) have the option of how clean of a sample you want to get. One thing I can definitely say though is SCRATCHING on vinyl will ALWAYS be king...minus needle skips haha!

Back