I'm in quite a bind

G

Generic White Boy

I live basically in Butt****, Missouri and the closet place to crate dig is 2 and a half hours away. I know virtual digging is in many ways gay as hell, but I don't really have a choice other than a 2 and a half hour commute, which I can't even accomplish cause I don't have a driver's liscence. What do y'all think I should do?

Generic White Boy said:
I live basically in Butt****, Missouri and the closet place to crate dig is 2 and a half hours away. I know virtual digging is in many ways gay as hell, but I don't really have a choice other than a 2 and a half hour commute, which I can't even accomplish cause I don't have a driver's liscence. What do y'all think I should do?

Dude,

Go to your local library...

CD's, DVD, and even vinyl.

take em home burn them, add them to your library.

it's a goldmine!

I would but the only library here is a school library, which wouldn't exactly be up to par. :(

Generic White Boy said:
I would but the only library here is a school library, which wouldn't exactly be up to par. :(

NO PUBLIC LIBRARY????

ok...

ask relatives or neighboors if they wouldn't mind parting with their old record collections. offer to clean out their bassments and attics for them in exchange for keeping old record which they'll probably be more than willing to part with.

also check out local thrift stores. this is another low cost gold mine.

Well since I know you have access to the internet buy them off of Ebay or other record shops. Or try an Salvation Army or something near by you. Do you ever go into town? If so look for them then.

lol Yes I go into town, but it's a hick town so...But thanks for the advice guys, they have alot of flea markets here so I guess I should look in those, too.

u dont always have to sample vinyl. Try casettes, 8tracks, or cds. Vinyl is ideal but not the only way to go. **** I have a Casette deck, a turntable and I use cds also. Im lookin for a 8track as we speak lol.

Generic White Boy said:
lol Yes I go into town, but it's a hick town so...But thanks for the advice guys, they have alot of flea markets here so I guess I should look in those, too.

Flea Market!

see,

there you go!

Xabiton said:
u dont always have to sample vinyl. Try casettes, 8tracks, or cds. Vinyl is ideal but not the only way to go. **** I have a Casette deck, a turntable and I use cds also. Im lookin for a 8track as we speak lol.

An 8-track would be straight, I need to get me one. I already use cassettes and CDs (although I hate CDs to death for sampling), bu I would really like to use vinyl so I won't have to compress and EQ my **** so much, or add crackyl SFX (although I probably still will depending on how clean the **** is).

8 TRACKS...sounds hot I never thought about that. I am sure you would need some kind of pre-amp for that though...I am sure you have to cop vintage gear for an 8 track player.

Black & White movies are good for dark orchestra sounds...VERY VERY CINEMATIC...my little secret

What would be the proposed benefit of sampling from 8 track, other than the novelty of it?

Sampling the Audio out from a DVD player will greatly expand your sampleling horizons. Keep and eye out for obscure DVD titles in the dollar bin at Wal Mart.

Don't be afraid or feel bad about sampling from CD's. The fact of the matter is that, "digitally remasterd recordings" have done all the work for you! Whereas you would've sampled from vinyl and process it the same way the professionals who re-relase original recordings to CD do. You'll soon find that "record dirt" 9/10 times will end up getting lost in your mix anyway.

Don't get caught up in the hype that you have to sample from vinyl. Sure it's cool and you feel like your paying your dues to the art as a "hip hop" producer, but the fact of the matter is that effeciency plays a great part in the creative process of finding that next hot sound.

Yes, CDJ's are a blessing!

Bravo(1) said:
What would be the proposed benefit of sampling from 8 track, other than the novelty of it?

Sampling the Audio out from a DVD player will greatly expand your sampleling horizons. Keep and eye out for obscure DVD titles in the dollar bin at Wal Mart.

Don't be afraid or feel bad about sampling from CD's. The fact of the matter is that, "digitally remasterd recordings" have done all the work for you! Whereas you would've sampled from vinyl and process it the same way the professionals who re-relase original recordings to CD do. You'll soon find that "record dirt" 9/10 times will end up getting lost in your mix anyway.

Don't get caught up in the hype that you have to sample from vinyl. Sure it's cool and you feel like your paying your dues to the art as a "hip hop" producer, but the fact of the matter is that effeciency plays a great part in the creative process of finding that next hot sound.

Yes, CDJ's are a blessing!

8 Tracks would be dope for sampling because of the fact that, since many people thought it would be "the future of music" they recorded albums straight to 8 track and never put it on vinyl. And as for your theory of "digatally remastered", they do all they can to make a record as clean as possible, which I hate clean records.

Generic White Boy said:

8 Tracks would be dope for sampling because of the fact that, since many people thought it would be "the future of music" they recorded albums straight to 8 track and never put it on vinyl. And as for your theory of "digatally remastered", they do all they can to make a record as clean as possible, which I hate clean records.

Actually 8 track tape was not intended to be a primary media for future recordings. The 8 track was originally produced and marketed in conjunction with automakers at that time to increase car sales. Therefore most 8 track recordings were mainly pop records of that time and are readily availible in other types of media.

You should also be aware that YOU CAN NOT FAST FORWARD OR REWIND A 8 TRACK TAPE. You must let it play trough in a loop at regular speed if you want to get BACK to a certain point in a song. This can pose an obvious problem when auditioning parts for loops and chops to sample.

Sure and 8 track might be nice to have on the side, but for someone in your situation you should be concerned with builing as large as a sample library as possible.

As for clean recordings, digitally remastering a track does much more than "take the dirt out". It opens up the sound and dymaics of the recordins enabling your to hear parts and insturments that you couldn't before. This will give you an advantage in your sampling optijons as well as train your ear.

You can alwalys dirty down your sound in the post recording stages.

Not trying to imply one way is better than the next, just wanted to propose both sides of the coin so you won't be limiting yourself.

Peace,

Brav'

Bravo(1) said:
Just another sample source really. sometimes u can find stuff on 8track or casette that u may not have found yet on vinyl or cd. To me its all about options. If I see an 8track of an album I wanted and havent been able to find it on any other source or just come across it and be like "I forgot about this shyt its kinda hot lemme grab this" I can do that kuz I have all media options. Its more limiting to not have one than it is to have one. And lmao @ 8tracks being the future they were never considered that. Like u said they were made for cars kuz people wnated to hear their music on the road and prior to that they had made turntables in cars but we all know how well that would work lol. so they made 8tracks but those faded fast when tape casettes came out kuz people simply hated that they couldnt fast foward or rewind but vinyl was still the heavy outlet until cds came out. Now kids dont know why a record is lol

Alright, 8 tracks were considered the future of music, look it the **** up, but when the cassette came people could give two ****s and a **** about em. If you didn't know that then I don't know what to say. But I didn't post this to argue about stupid **** like this so let's stay on topic please. I need to find some old horror movies. Thanks for the tip Prophitz.

Generic White Boy said:
Alright, 8 tracks were considered the future of music, look it the **** up, but when the cassette came people could give two ****s and a **** about em. If you didn't know that then I don't know what to say. But I didn't post this to argue about stupid **** like this so let's stay on topic please. I need to find some old horror movies. Thanks for the tip Prophitz.

huh?

Generic White Boy said:

That's what I was wondering. What is this guy talking about? lol

Well,

He just affirmed everything I've said, so I was just wondering to whom was your agression directed to?

Bravo(1) said:

Well,

He just affirmed everything I've said, so I was just wondering to whom was your agression directed to?

No agression, I just need some sleep.

Back