How to make a song less repetitive?

RyanTrapstar

When I sample, what are some good things to do to the sample when it goes into the intro, first verse, hook to make it sound different?

Somethin kinda basic would be to rearrange the chops of your sample into a new pattern for the chorus part, or adding a new instrument/sample to the chorus part is pretty classic

automate and filter the intro... take out the drums at certain points... ex: take out a kick or snare for 4 bars.. stuff like that..

low/hi pass filters, taking out a snare or a kick every 8 bars, cuts at the sample, rearranging your chops, adding an instrument at the hook, change ups at your bassline, adding fx, vocal chops etc are some of the things you can do. but don't overdo it especially if u go for the classic boom bap sound

use your imagination. that's what it's all about. it also helps to think in songs and work with an artist, build him up or have him/her build you up, that way you grasp on these concepts quicker. think songs as opposed to beats. some songs can have repetitive instrumentals if the vocal line can carry it right so it varies. what i would not do is throwing in stuff just to throw it in, add stuff that will compliment other instruments/sounds obviously. i'd rather hear an empty/repetitive beat than something with all types of melodies going on for no reason

I copy my drums onto a 2nd (& sometimes 3rd or 4th) group in Maschine... I can then edit the original drum pattern without it effecting my other scenes and just swap it out when I think it needs a change up.
I've found re-flipping the sample too often loses energy (the odd choked double-up can be nice) and better to tweak your drums first.

Back