how to make a sample song sound like a hit

• Thread starter Vizion:Mizfitzsoundz
  • Start date
V

Vizion:Mizfitzsoundz

im a sample based producer and for some reason i cant make my samples sound like comercial hit like how jus balze or kanye do

ps. im not tryin to copy there style

hey in his defense, kanye and just both bit off of RZA and Pete Rock. Everybody got start somewhere to keep this hiphop **** moving. Now back to your question, u gotta keep in mind dat kanyes and just blazes sampled songs are professionally mixed and mastered and dats why they sound the way they do.

Last edited:
my stlyle is way different ...i jus have buyers who need a comercial feel

This reminds me off another thread. Mixing is an art all by itself, not to mention the equipment these people use makes me have wet dreams. So, I am not sure if you are saying the quality isn't good enough production wise or creatively speaking the work is weak. I have spent a lot of time imitating people I admire when I play blues on the piano, it's all a cycle you can use elements of whatever and it doesn't mean you are trying to sound like someone else. When you start out you hope to mimic in a sense the people who got you interested in making beats in the 1st place. Maybe I am putting my foot in my mouth because again it's unclear if you need higher Mastering skills and well...equipment. Or if you are trying to get a pop or more commercial sound and that's what you are worrying about...I personally don't think you can even make things sound "commercial" neccesarily because nowdays, anything can become popular and then the art form grows. It is sad but I walk into the gap or whatever with my girl and they are now playing a CD that I might have on Vinyl... F**ck it, just do what you do and try to keep your style and idenity, good luck and no matter what keep up your discipline and determination. You will get what you are trying to create... Peace!
MAW

well using programs like kontakt can be considered sampling cause kontakt uses nothing but preexisting samples that have either been recorded or set up by the user..i consider sampling to be recording a preexisting song and manipulating it (through filters or chppping) to make ur own composition..using sounds from vst intruments would not be considered "sampling" cause all of those sounds are royalty free..even big fish audio samples cds are royalty free..i consider sampling to be something that is copywritten and has to be cleared before it can be used..which to me makes sampling just as complicated, if not more, as composing..

Vizion:Mizfitzsoundz said:
my stlyle is way different ...i jus have buyers who need a comercial feel

lol..send em my way then

mmmm... You have to separate the process of sampling. For a good ending, you need good samples but you can have good quality samples and sound weak if you are not mixing well or mastering so you have to know where is your weakness. Always try to use the best sounds, EQ and prepare your samples and then your individual tracks and then your mix until you have all the process for mastering.
I can suggest you to research on mastering to give you an idea.

In this day an age your going need crunktastic with the overused synth sounds to sound commercial :D

its all good...find the right sample..study just blaze and kanye..u must not be using the right samples....switch the drums up...it takes time practice..

After the sample its alot about how you mix your sounds and the drums and supporting sounds you use that take your joint from sounding flat and dry to full and bouncy.

your style is your style, wouldnt suggest trying to manipulate and change it to make it sound "commercial" gonna end up sounding worse.

How much money you got?

Vizion:Mizfitzsoundz said:
im a sample based producer and for some reason i cant make my samples sound like comercial hit like how jus balze or kanye do

ps. im not tryin to copy there style

I would say you mostly need good outboard gear to make samples sound as good as there's do. Or good eq for the pops and snaps. It would help if the samples were tight to.

i honestly think, its just what the artist does to the song that determines its marketability. because kanye's and just's beats are pretty raw dry cut hip hop. like the new Common track by kanye, beat is pretty underground, and yeah with the professional mix that somebody mentioned above and then just a catchy hook and lyrics u got a hit (actually taht was a bad example, as hot as the common song is, its not really gonna make it in the mainstream).

Do you even know what a "mainstream" feel is? I don't. Just keep practicing bruh! You'l get stuff you like eventually. Study the feel you wanna go for. If you fail the first time then you probably did something wrong, try something else. Don't keep repeating yourself. Get out of your comfort zone! Find samples that are catchy, chop until you come up with something. There is no solution or manual that will tell you how to come up with some fire. So quit researching so much and just do it......... Mixing is a different story.
Have fun bruh!

i would say it has some to do with mixing, samples, and live instruments. just and kanye have access to the best engineers and session musicians. i know that plain pat use to dig and cut samples for kanye all day long and i think just has people digging for him too. if your serious about taking your music to the next level invest your time and if need be money to get it there. just my 2 cents tho....

good luck.

Back