How Girl Talk Avoids Sampling & Copyright Lawsuits

He was put on trial once... And won his case on the very grounds of which the video is talking about... "Fair Use." You can even watch some of the trial on youtube...

In the end... girl talks lawyer played a clip from a girl talk song (it was the part where he mashes together Elton John and Biggie Smalls). The judge ruled it as Fair Use.

In my opinion fair use and all this sample legal talk is a dying issue, and really unless your song is a best seller, nobody will either know or care.

Plus in my opinion, the days of "record sales" are coming to an end... and that if your not releasing music for free, your doing it wrong. Its all gonna end up getting pirated anyway. And when you release music for free, there is no limit to how much or who you can sample, because there in no money involved.

nice post. love all the stuff on copyright law. copyright criminals (director in this clip), steal this film, and rip: a remix manifesto are good too.

Plus in my opinion, the days of "record sales" are coming to an end... and that if your not releasing music for free, your doing it wrong. Its all gonna end up getting pirated anyway. And when you release music for free, there is no limit to how much or who you can sample, because there in no money involved.

This is precisely the reason though that labels are going to start being more and more protective of their catalogs. They are running out of viable ways to make money. This will be the last ditch effort to really hang on.

He was put on trial once... And won his case on the very grounds of which the video is talking about... "Fair Use." You can even watch some of the trial on youtube...

In the end... girl talks lawyer played a clip from a girl talk song (it was the part where he mashes together Elton John and Biggie Smalls). The judge ruled it as Fair Use.

I think you're mistaken. Girl Talk was never involved in a law suit.

Back