how do you sample just the vocals of a song?

You can filter out some but it will never be perfect.. best way is to download an acapella or make one with the use of an instrumental :)

Also, alot of vox in older songs can be isolated by isolating either the right or left stereo spectrum. Basically, isolate the side that has the least amount of sound other than the vox. As mentioned, EQ works well, and a BP filter can be interesting, just add some gain to the sample afterwards.

You should the software RX by Izotope, it will have a coloured spectrum analyser and you should be able to pinpoint exactly where the human vocals are and isolate them from the music and then save it, it should give you a 99% perfect vocal without any of the beat, although you may loose a bit of the quality of the vocals, this is the technique used by television stations when they record an "in the field" segment of the news where they are outdoors & need to remove background sounds like traffic, background noise ect.

add a hpf or bpf or try to mute the instrumental with EQ

I end up getting the accapella, EQ'ing can only remove so much. If I can't find the accapella, I chop the sample with the vocal to fit in with the rest of my track.

there's a technique where if you have the instrumental and line it up with the song down to the millisecond then invert or reverse the polarity on the actual song and it cancels out the music and leaves the vocals

Back