Genres to sample

AverageJoe

Anyone have a favorite to sample?

I like using soul since I can find a sample for the chorus but a lot of classical turns out pretty epic too.

jazz i love horns anthing with rhodes and nice bass lines i love em bass lines filtered, oh i forgot orchesta is sick when comes to strings cant get enough strings and piano old school ballads are my fav .. but the foundation is soul so if it has that feel jump onit tell ur fed up wit it ..

Last edited by a moderator:
When I'm lookin for sh!t I usually look for R&B/Soul, but I like Funk/Disco/Reggae/Classical all that sh!t cept Hard Rock, nh, & Country I guess.

I like sampling soul but I dislike it because everyone else is doing it too. Jazz samples are fun but I don't enjoy digging for jazz samples. I really like blues and funk but usually I just end up sampling soul. I sample pop records from the 70s also

I usually sample jazz, soul and funk stuff. But i will flip everything that sounds good to my ears :)

EDIT: posted the same twice with a mistake, don't know how to delete it, haha

Last edited:
I sample the usual 70's R&B/Soul joints. But I sample sounds no matter where they come from. TV shows, cartoons, commercials, 60's UK Rock (The Animals etc). Wherever there is a good sound, I'm on it. Filter it and play it like a game. I once flipped the theme song for 6ABC Action News in Illadelph. Crazy joint!!! I remember Premo sampled the sound of water pouring in a glass....epic!!!

experimental early synth type music………and whatever i feel at the moment

I like to sample and flip everything that I think no one else would touch.

i sample pop 80s and 90s rap (and retro rap, cool kids pac div etc) rock soul any thing you would listen to that is not the same genre that you make if that makes any sense

I tend to move towards funk, or jazz if im looking for something to really set the mood. Those songs always convey a lot of emotion, and thats ultimately what your trying to get across anyway.

Back