Easy way to clean a sample then manipulate it whatever way you want

nervecell

Ok so I have this theory that might work to clean a sample and make it into notes so that you have an easier time using it and changing it into whatever but I can't test it out because i don't have a keyboard yet (lol getting paid saturday)

Ok so what you do is load the sample into Edison if you have FL studios and then chop it up into whatever piece you want

next step is to figure out what instrument / sound it is using then load a channel with that instrument / sound (violins and violins piano and piano etc...)

then once you have your piano roll for the channel open go to tools in edison then - "convert to score and dump to piano roll"

Then tinker with it a bit but the main premise should sound similar to the sample.

If this works then you just converted your sample to your piano roll which is so much easier to use.

Post if it works please!

Just tried it. It actaully semi-works . Would prolly be a lnog process after it is in piano roll , but i works .

Last edited:
Yeah, only thing is you lose a lot of the dynamics and stuff. But it's good if you want to figure out what notes are in a bass line or what ever.

I'm probably overtired, but I really don't get this.

It's basically a function of FL Studio where it detects what notes are being played in a sample, so when you 'dump to piano roll' it will try to figure out which notes are played.

If you had a guitar sample, and dumped to piano roll on a guitar VST, then it "should" get the right notes

I'm probably overtired, but I really don't get this.

Edisons can read pitches and chords of a sample etc etc... (think a poor mans melodyne DNA vst lol) and export them to the piano roll as a score to any piano roll channel which will show you the notes and give you freedom to change them however so u please (pitch, timing, velocity...etc) So he is saying to...

1. Take the part of the sample you want
2. Open a fl channel with a similar sound as the source sample
3. Dump it from Edisons into the channel
4. Freedom to bend it however you want.

I have done this a few times in the past but kinda find it a bit impractical. Its kinda good for figuring out notes like greeze said and shows off a bit of FL's power but if you studied even a bit of music theory its quicker to just use your ears. I do know however a few friends that have used this on some crazy techno interpolations of classical music.

Ok, I'm with you, good tip, I haven't tried Edison yet, looking forward to it.

Except, I don't get this part...

2. Open a fl channel with a similar sound as the source sample

In Melodyne, you can actually drag around the notes of the audio, from what you've said, it sounds like edison does the same thing.

Why the opening of a VST?

Ok, I'm with you, good tip, I haven't tried Edison yet, looking forward to it.

Except, I don't get this part...

In Melodyne, you can actually drag around the notes of the audio, from what you've said, it sounds like edison does the same thing.

Why the opening of a VST?

no no profit its not anywhere on melodines level and its not moving the audio like melodyne its just able to make a midi representation of the audio and from there you can put any VST, soundfont, W.e really to play it. I was just using melodyne as the closest analogy i could find ..... Err let me think how best to put it.

Ok for example lets say you imported a sample of a grand piano playing a chord progression into edisons, but you are unsure of the notes. You can use the "put audio to score" function in edisons and it will dump a MIDI(no sound) representation of the notes played into the piano roll. From here you will be able to see the notes being played and since it is a MIDI! score in the piano roll you can change how the notes are being played Or the instrument you want to play them however you so please, its all MIDI data now. This can almost be looked as a godlike almost cheating way to do many interpolations of your favorite songs with out having to really lift a finger. If you think about it you can use this note to score function in a endless amount of ways. The ability to do this is what a lot of the real hardcore composers hate most about FL this and the one note chord progression capability that if used right can create ridiculous arrangements that they've spent years crafting. Not to many people know about these two functions though or just don't bother to use FL this in depth.

ahhh... I typed a lot err i hope it helped clarify it a bit though. Oh there are a few youtube vids about edisons capabilities also so don't hesitate to search.

Last edited:
Let me examplise this for you:

You import a sample of a guitar playing the notes of, A, G#, B, F

You insert in another channel a VST that has a guitar preset loaded.

In edison you press Dump to piano roll.

Edison tried to figure out what notes were played in the sample and puts MIDI notes at the relevant places in the VST channel.

OK why would you not try this yourself before posting?

Ok so I have this theory that might work to clean a sample and make it into notes so that you have an easier time using it and changing it into whatever but I can't test it out because i don't have a keyboard yet (lol getting paid saturday)

Ok so what you do is load the sample into Edison if you have FL studios and then chop it up into whatever piece you want

next step is to figure out what instrument / sound it is using then load a channel with that instrument / sound (violins and violins piano and piano etc...)

then once you have your piano roll for the channel open go to tools in edison then - "convert to score and dump to piano roll"

Then tinker with it a bit but the main premise should sound similar to the sample.

If this works then you just converted your sample to your piano roll which is so much easier to use.

Post if it works please!

Thanks guys, I get it now.

So it almost does the whole melodyne thing. Sounds as if you should be able to timestretch based upon the MIDI notes found, maybe they're working on that. Either way, pretty nifty.

waves tune does a much better job of this and even though it is for "vocals" you can scan a part like this and export it to midi and it gives 100% better results.

i think its dope how some FL users really get down and dirty with it and get the most out of it - for real Ive heard some DOPE beats made on FL before

good shit

Back