Drums: First or after chops?

moodiggles

The age old question, when to do your drums, before or after you do your chops.
I've heard mixed opinions, but what do you guys prefer, before or after?

After chops normally. I like to hear what I'm working with. Drums first on a non-sampled beat always though.

I gather what I want to do with my melody/ies (sampled or not), gather drums that fit. As for recording, the drums are first.

i usually chop the sample then figure out a pattern i like but dont lay it down...Then i make a simple drum track and then lay down the chops....then build up the drums.

Its funny...i used to make the drum patterns first for the longest time becuase i didnt know about the metronome, so i thought doing the drums would be the only to keep my rhythm...

now i always find a sample melody first.

i always take any kick and snare and but a 4 beat sound down just so its got a drum loop. then do the chops and the way i want, after that make the real drums. so basically i guess my temp drums works as my metronome.

Depends, but usually drums first.....lately Ive been doin a quick hi hat pattern with quantize on, and a snare, then i try to come up with a pattern for my chops. After that I do my kicks then go back and re-do the hi hats with the quantize off using 16 levels on the MPC

i always take any kick and snare and but a 4 beat sound down just so its got a drum loop. then do the chops and the way i want, after that make the real drums. so basically i guess my temp drums works as my metronome.
^

7char

I chop up the sample and lay down a snare just to find and keep tempo (I prefer it over the metronome for some reason)
Then I lay down my chops, go back switch my snare, layer etc, then kick and hats.

I used to do chops first, but lately I've been doing drums, and then just adding or re-arranging to fit chops after

I usually lay down hi-hats and snares first.

Then i put down the chops and finishes wit the kicks, percs and bassline.

yeah i like to do my drums after the chop. and that way depending on how the chop or vibe is going i have room to play with which drums i actually wanna use and how i wanna take the pattern as well

Depends - ive done it both ways - usually Ill lay down the idea/melody first and then bang it out with drums, but sometimes I lay down a scratch kik/sn track just to make sure the chops will fit. I think all in all and from my experience its good to form drums around an idea though.

I remember I used to start all my beats with drums and I feel Ive progressed a lot since I stopped sticking to that as a concrete rule.

Im with nicky on this

I feel like drums should for surree be done after. That way they mold to the sample and help create suspense, climax, etc. and give it that knocking status

Back