drum break ID please

Sounds like a pitched up Hotpants break to me. Sorry I can't post links yet so you'll have to look them up yourself.

Bobby Byrd - Hotpants is the original

Stone Roses - Fool's Gold also had a version

it doesnt seem to me that this is any definite, specific break per se...but it def sounds like an acoustic break of some sort being chopped into pieces and made into a drum break that the producer thought fitting with the rest of the music.

If you are asking what the break is that this person cut into pieces, your guess is as good as any, because I cannot hear any unique characteristics that would readily identify it in my mind. I'm not going to claim to be crazy knowledgeable about all drum breaks, but through my studies I've heard more than most. What I hear simply does not strike my "spidey-sense" that I get when I've either heard something before.

I'm just attempting to contribute my personal opinion. The guy that posted above me could be spot on, and although I am familiar with those songs/breaks, it's not distinguishing itself as anything I remember hearing. I listened at least 3 times... The cuts/pieces are kinda too small for me to detect it as a specific break, sorry.

it is hotpants... thanks.

It will probably sound familiar to any hip hop or DnB heads...

but its strange because I have been trying to ID this for years... when I first got some equipment (a long time ago) I bought some break compilations sampled and stored all the usual stuff... the break I have labelled as hotpants is slightly different to this one and I am already using it for a track that I want this break for...

now listen to hotpants:

the break is recognisable but might have to listen closely... but there is no clean bar... i think i even have a copy of that album somewhere

but listen to this:

easily recognisable...

but now I have to wonder what it is that I have stored as "hotpants" on my hardrive (?) because it's similar but not the same - it has claps not snares... but has similar raucous hats so almost works for my project but not quite... so either its a different song / break that I labelled incorrectly or yet another bar from hotpants...

anyway, now I've found what I'm after I can use it... thanks again...

Ahhh yeah, the second one has a larger break part and I guess I can hear it there.
lol and at my core, I am a hiphop head...then a DNB enthusiast...shit, embarassing:4theloveofgod:haha

I hear it now, at the 2:47 mark, but it still sounds like a break chopped into one-shot pieces, to me. Just that it's simulating the pattern/groove of the break from Hot Pants. Maybe that's what your question meant... for some reason I guess I misinterpreted.

It's possible I've had a couple drinks too many at this point though.

no worries AP... I should know it also... that Ils and Solo track in the OP is from around '94 / '95 so the break was probably spliced in a bit of software called recycle then the one shots pitched up and triggered from an Akai rack mount sampler... other elements are present at other points in the song and I think "apache" is in there also...

enjoy your drink.

I find the snare in that break to have such a distinctive tone, combined with those hats you can hear it from miles away! Proper defining jungle break. And DK i think you're right in saying there's some Apache in there as well, it's definitely there at the start...

it is genre defining true... yeah apache at the start but use is minimal just the snare really without listening back to it...

thanks all.

Back