Dope artists that u don't really sample...

Billy Paul is one that everyone uses a lot.

You want good brassy horns: harry conick jr big band stuff
guitar riffs and synthy horns: Prince 1978-1984
Strings: quincy jones isaac hayes, richard smallwood
bass lines: bootsie
and ELO(electric light orchestra)
I use a lot of Andrae Crouch
Al Green Gospel cuz its got that same al green sound like the organs gutiars, strings on unkown songs

Last edited by a moderator:
I just try to avoid all the classic samples that have been done a thousand times:

http://www.the-breaks.com/perl/stats.pl

Other than that sometimes I'll load up a sample and can't ever really make anything good out of it. Seems to happen the most with classical music. Like this Shostakovich piece. It's dope as hell, but can you flip it?

(fast forward to 5:00)

Last edited by a moderator:
Curtis May... I was soo mad when i first heard this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkwQbuAGLj4

---------- Post added at 11:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 PM ----------

I just try to avoid all the classic samples that have been done a thousand times:

http://www.the-breaks.com/perl/stats.pl

Other than that sometimes I'll load up a sample and can't ever really make anything good out of it. Seems to happen the most with classical music. Like this Shostakovich piece. It's dope as hell, but can you flip it?

(fast forward to 5:00)

LOL.. even imagining someone rapping to that is ridic..
would have to be some aannnnngry black peeps

earth,wiind and fire had some hits too....Sampling recycled hits is always a plus!

earth,wiind and fire had some hits too....Sampling recycled hits is always a plus!

Aw man, for me, it's Singers Unlimited and The Free Design. Such amazing harmonies. :sing:

anything from the 70s/80s have usually already been oversampled like, a BUNCH of times. personally i try to go out of my way to sample things ppl normally would: something odd/random from overseas, super underground/folk kinda music or even more receent/present tracks from this millennium, yu tend to get a reeeal diff sound and dont enbd up sounding like alot of other competiting producers

anything from the 70s/80s have usually already been oversampled like, a BUNCH of times. personally i try to go out of my way to sample things ppl normally would: something odd/random from overseas, super underground/folk kinda music or even more receent/present tracks from this millennium, yu tend to get a reeeal diff sound and dont enbd up sounding like alot of other competiting producers

you would be surprised how much 80s stuff has not been sampled. back in the day people just wanted organic sounds and didn't want 80s music now people want something that sounds cool when chopped up.

I sample the supremes song 'Hangin On ' I try to find rarely used songs when I do sample.

---------- Post added at 11:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 AM ----------

I been tryna get into old opera

its true, but that general sound of the 80s and 70s have been oversampled, is more or less what i was referring too. i always try to go for more left field stuff and make it hip-hop. i just think ppl should start elevating out of that phase: we've been there for like 30 years now :P

whatever works for you. I still don't know of much 80s music that got sampled before 2000. In the 90s it was all about 60s and 70s music. In the 80s it was mostly 70s music drum machines and synths.

I'll sample anything for fun/practice whether it's been sampled 2 or 3 times or a hundred.The stuff i put out though is mostly obscure,hard to find,off the wall stuff.I love for people to hear something and ask "where did you get that from?" and then when i tell them or play them the original they're like "DAMN!"Makes me feel like i've accomplished something.

Peace.

I have never and will never sample Donny Hathaway! His music was soooo pure... the voice and his expression to music have always made me respect him like no other!

anything from the 70s/80s have usually already been oversampled

Agreed.
Really the 40s' and even up to just recently alot of stuff has been sampled but there is still a HUGE market of unsampled albums.Overseas groups,groups that only made one album,etc.Since vinyl hit the scene in the 20s',the only source for some real unsampled,unheard of stuff is probably on stylophone.lol

Peace

vinyl hit the scene in the late 1880s if u really want to try to find something really obscure. it didnt get popular until the 1920s

Back