Does anyone know if Maino or the producer of this song actually...

Joey Gunz [OBM]

TheFlowGod
got this sample cleared?

I was digging around in my old cassettes and cd's and I found this song by Mad Cobra that was out in like 1995...I knew it sounded wayyyyyyy to familiar and I couldn't put my finger on it til I sat down that night and popped in the Maino CD. Idk what made me put that on, but I listened til I got to Hi-Hater and realized that the song is just a sped up version of the original Mad Cobra song...they didn't flip it, chop it, no nothing...just sped it up and called it something new. I still have yet to see anyone actually talk about it either...maybe I'm late...who knows and who cares...but I was just wondering if they ever cleared it and how much woulda had to go to Cobra and the producer of the original?

Here goes Hi-Haters...
[video=youtube;uxra2Nn7K9Y&ob=av2e]video[/video]

And now the Mad Cobra joint

Mad Cobra sampled it too. It's an old school hip hop track, like Whodini or somebody. not sure if it was cleared or even needed to be. Even the "original old school hip hop song" may have been a sample. lol.

LOL oh shit, I thought that it was Cobra's joint because of the fact that I been lost the case to the Maino CD I didn't have the credits to check em out

lol AZ used a very similar if not the exact same beat a few years earlier for a song called 'Doing That' on The Format. I always thought 'Hi Haters' was some mixtape track over the AZ beat, but I guess not.

But then again Soulja Boy did something similar with Lil B's 'I'm God' when he used the beat for his own song (2 Milli) which became a much bigger hit.

Word, now that you mention it I do remember the AZ joint...I gotta look up the original tho cuz now its buggin me lol...I'ma hafta go ask my uncles or something cuz Whodini is wayyy before my time

Mad Cobra sampled it too. It's an old school hip hop track, like Whodini or somebody. not sure if it was cleared or even needed to be. Even the "original old school hip hop song" may have been a sample. lol.
i was about to make that point its an 80s song the melody says 80s all over it.

http://www.whosampled.com/sample/view/15444/Maino-Hi Hater_Jimmy Spicer-Money (Dollar Bill Y'all)/

Other songs that sampled Jimmy Spicer's Money (Dollar Bill Y'all):
Special Bulletin by The News Crew (1986)
On a Mission by Too Nice (1987)
Megablast (Hip-Hop on Precinct 13) by Bomb the Bass (1988)
This Beat Is Funky by C.P.O. (1990)
Bitties in the BK Lounge by De La Soul (1991)
Be Happy (Remix) by Mary J. Blige feat. Keith Murray (1994)
What Thugs Do by La the Darkman feat. DJ Rodgers and Puff (1998)
Blowin' Me Up (With Her Love) by JC Chasez (2002)
Doing That by AZ (2006)

Last edited by a moderator:
I spoke to my uncle today and he actually knew it off bat and played me the joint...

good lookin on the sample id tho guys, that shits been bugging me for so long

lmao @ not knowing that classic sample
can u really expect the average 16 year old to know songs that are totally irrelevant to them? most of the cats on FP didn't grow up listening to most of these classic samples and are more than likely playing catch up

oh yeah cuz u would have known it right? u probably spend your whole life on whosampled.com. right smartass?

lmao @ this too. i'll just leave it at that.

---------- Post added at 01:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 PM ----------

can u really expect the average 16 year old to know songs that are totally irrelevant to them? most of the cats on FP didn't grow up listening to most of these classic samples and are more than likely playing catch up

of course not, but I know kids in the 15-20 age group who are pretty well versed in the area of vinyl/old school/samples/sampling/etc, and these are kids who could care less about production. Not saying that this is normal or every kid should be like that, but you'd have to agree that many times research can/should be done before coming into a forum like this, with a sample ID on a song like that. I appreciate the thirst for knowledge like this, especially in the music world we are in today. What I don't appreciate, is people who use sites like this as a go-to spot before learning anything on their own. It's like "oh i wanna know what sample this is **** it l'll just ask futureproducers." by the time i've hit fp for sample ID you better believe i've done hours and hours (possibly days) of research both on and offline.

Side note: i'm pretty sure i'm not the only one tired of the Hear some beat online ----> Skip looking for the sample ----> beg people in forums to help me ID ----> download sample and make a beat ----> "hey guys listen to my hot flip! :sing:" routine

But hey, we're in the technology age anyway right :smokinFP:

actually I'm 21, and could really give a shit less about your opinion on the subject. Yeah I like rap, but that doesn't mean that off bat I need to know what samples came from where or I'm not hip-hop. C'mon son, how stupid do you sound right now...I'm trying to get a better understanding of the music now at this stage in my life, rather than front like I knew all along.

Really I didn't care all that much to go digging and digging and wondering and searching and all that extra stuff because it was a simple question that required a simple answer. I was passing the time while burning a few cd's and thought I would pose the question seeing as how my quick internet searches didn't show me shit.

and no I'm not gonna go run and flip this, just wanted to know what was what and left it at that, I dont even like sampling in my beats anyways...the first sample ID I ever ask for and all of a sudden I'm getting attacked? [ed lover voice] c'monsongetthe****outtaherewiththatbullshit. I could see if I was on here daily on some type of dumb shit, but I'm not...I barely post on here ever really, and shit like this is the reason why

get off the high horse and impart knowledge onto those that are seeking it...its not like I was the 582502465th person to come in here and ask how johnny juliano got that high pitched wobbly grainy synth lead for the 503498562034756307560374560347th time

actually I'm 21, and could really give a shit less about your opinion on the subject. Yeah I like rap, but that doesn't mean that off bat I need to know what samples came from where or I'm not hip-hop. C'mon son, how stupid do you sound right now...I'm trying to get a better understanding of the music now at this stage in my life, rather than front like I knew all along.

Really I didn't care all that much to go digging and digging and wondering and searching and all that extra stuff because it was a simple question that required a simple answer. I was passing the time while burning a few cd's and thought I would pose the question seeing as how my quick internet searches didn't show me shit.

and no I'm not gonna go run and flip this, just wanted to know what was what and left it at that, I dont even like sampling in my beats anyways...the first sample ID I ever ask for and all of a sudden I'm getting attacked? [ed lover voice] c'monsongetthe****outtaherewiththatbullshit. I could see if I was on here daily on some type of dumb shit, but I'm not...I barely post on here ever really, and shit like this is the reason why

get off the high horse and impart knowledge onto those that are seeking it...its not like I was the 582502465th person to come in here and ask how johnny juliano got that high pitched wobbly grainy synth lead for the 503498562034756307560374560347th time

Oh so you feel "attacked."

Hell, i barely even glanced at your screen name, and never specifically called YOU out as a basis for any of the points I made. Really has nothing to do with "rap" anyway, because I was making noise about people not appreciating real music and the origins of some of rap's most popular songs, even at 14 years old (and you were 7). I'm all for the younger generation wanting to dig in and learn about the songs of the past, in fact I've been a go-to guy for "what sample is that?" and "what song is this?" for the better part of my life, so no one appreciates and encourages it more than I. I was speaking about the type of dudes i DONT like, and gave a basic of idea of what that kind of person typically does. Never once said Mr Joey So-and-so but if you feel the shoe fits.....what can I say? Ain't no high horses over here.

Well I see you couldn't care a shit less (insert jay-z "Success" rhyme here) about what I have to say, but i appreciate that nice paragraph you dedicated to my post anyway son :cheers:

You may not be into rap that much, but if you ever wanted to BE a rapper, you've already got the sensitivity part down.

"Attacked?"

My bad son, I thought this was a forum.....dishing out opinions and all that. I must have the wrong site.

Last edited:
Back