Do you guys ever mono your chopped samples sound waves?

StanleySteamer

Hey guys, as the post says I was curious if you guys ever mono your samples after you chop them? Similar to how you would take a drum kit u download and make it mono in audacity or something, would you guys ever do it or recommend doing it to your sample chops? feedback always appreciated

this is a chicken and egg kinda question?

for me choosing to monoise a sample is about whether the sample contains lots of stereo information or not as much as it is about intent on final usage

if my intent is to use a mono sample then yes I make it mono, but I might make it mono by applying the M/S matrix to it and losing the side channel rather than just applying a standard stereo to mono conversion

If I'm using the bassline in the sample, I'll split the frequencies into bass and top end, and mono everything under about 125-150hz, and keep the stereo information on the top end. Unless it's really crazy. And if it is really crazy, I'll mono the top end and use a touch of chorus afterwards. Lately I've liked the top end of my samples to be wider.

Last edited:
Back