Digging Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
at the spot i got diggin at, dude got a turntable there so yuo can preview them ****s before you buy em. so I might grab like 10 records and go listen to the first 10 seconds of each track. If i feel it, i buy it. If not, i probly buy it anyway, cuz you never know. might wake up one day and be like...shiiiit i could've flipped that nice.

Ok, somebody enlighten me, because unless you all are doing this just for fun, are there copywrite issues? Or are you all obtaining permission to sample the material before recording and releasing your work? Holla back.

LIAC
CEO/Producer
Trimod Productions

Last edited:
LIAC said:
Ok, somebody enlighten me, because unless you all are doing this just for fun, are there copywrite issues? Or are you all obtaining permission to sample the material before recording and releasing your work? Holla back.

In my eyes its not the producers job to clear the samples. It's the artists or label's responsibility since they would be the ones releasing it. I mean if producers were out clearing samples to every beat, they'd be charging $1000's for beats.

In a traditional environment, that might be true however often within my organization, many of the artists (to include myself the CEO/Produce/artist) under my label make a collaborative effort to finance a project from start to finish. This works for us and I must admit that it is the best kind of clientel to have - drama free! No issues because we all have an agreement (documented and binding) which brings me back to the point of sampling. Even the most accomplished labels are wise enough to seek permission to sample "other artists material" to avoid legal problems. That's what initially prompted me to ask the question pertaining to sampling. Bottom line is that there's a right way and a wrong way to go about doing it, agree? Holla back.

LIAC
CEO/Producer
Trimod Productions

Last edited:
LIAC said:
In a traditional environment, that might be true however often within my organization, many of the artists (to include myself the CEO/Produce/artist) under my label make a collaborative effort to finance a project from start to finish. This works for us and I must admit that it is the best kind of clientel to have - drama free! No issues because we all have an agreement (documented and binding) which brings me back to the point of sampling. Even the most accomplished labels are wise enough to seek permission to sample "other artists material" to avoid legal problems. That's what initially prompted me to ask the question pertaining to sampling. Bottom line is that there's a right way and a wrong way to go about doing it, agree? Holla back.

LIAC
CEO/Producer
Trimod Productions

Let me just preface by saying that I am an amateur musician who has no real aspirations of making it big in the music business. I'm satisfied with the knowledge that people across the globe listen to and enjoy my music. Maybe down the road I would work towards getting some tracks officially released somewhere on a small independent label, but not at this time.

That being said, I am not at all worried about any legal problems simply because I do not profit from my music. I have to moral or ethical problems with sampling, except for the rare time I feel guilty as an artist for not personalizing the sample enough. Even if my music was being officially released on a small label, I don't think I would be too worried either. It's my understanding that the general consensus is that if the music is being released in small numbers in a limited market, nobody will really care. I realize that "nobody will really care" is obviously shaky ground to stand on, but there's something to that. It takes resources for a "big guy" label to go after a "little guy" such as myself for royalties, and I get the feeling that it many cases, it's simply not worth it.

Of course, many of us strive to sample obscure music, which adds a certain level of defense against legal action - if it's hard to tell where the sound came from, it becomes hard to sue over it. In addition to this, many of us enjoy mangling the sample into obscurity, making it unrecognizable from the original.

In response to the individual that stated that it's up to the artist to worry about it, not the producer - you have to remember that not all samplers are hiphop "beatmakers" or "producers". Electronic generas are full of sample-based music - everything from lounge to big beat is full of samples. The individuals that make this music aren't "producers", they're artists themselves.

Being a MC, lyricist, or vocalist doesn't make you an "artist" - it makes you just that, an MC, lyricist, or vocalist.

Last edited:
Well said! Now that's the type of intellect that is deserving praise! Ya gotta admire integrity! Keep up the good work! Peace.

LIAC
CEO/Producer
Trimod Productions

H&R said:

Saying that is a no no . . .

Knowing who and what 80's stuff ii pick up is what makes the 80's hard to sample from. But if you know the right artists your bound to find some crazy stuff in there.

Some 80's stuff like The Smiths has echoey snare- that really strange, dead, heavy, plodding drum beats. Not that I woudl ever sample The Smiths that is like cutting up Mona Lisa for decaparge (sp?). ;)

LIAC said:

LIAC
CEO/Producer
Trimod Productions

Pretty much agree with the others- I aint worried because it is just a hobby. I mean, I would be flattered if any punk ass lawyer actually heard my work.

Secondly, my samples aren't obvious enough leave that to P.Diddy to interpolate whole choruses of 70's songs- the 12 year olds who buy his
sh!t don't know any better.

Finally, you can get away with a lot if my CDs are anything to go by (Assuming that CD liner notes can be trusted and there aren't other dealings that have gone on).

Didn't read the rest of thread...may have been mentioned already...

Check Craigslist's free section for your city...also the CDs/Dvds section. I just got about 45 classic soul & R&B records for $30...**** like Curtis Mayfield, KC & the Sunshine Band, WAR, Kool & the Gang, Barry White, etc...gonna spend weeks digitizing 'em, but it's gonna be worth it.

-- J

In reguard to Sonus commment about songwriters/MCs ect. not being artists.

(This is copied and pasted from Dictionary.com)

art·ist

1. One, such as a painter, sculptor, or writer, who is able by virtue of imagination and talent or skill to create works of aesthetic value, especially in the fine arts.
2. A person whose work shows exceptional creative ability or skill: You are an artist in the kitchen.
3. One, such as an actor or singer, who works in the performing arts.
4. One who is adept at an activity, especially one involving trickery or deceit: a con artist.

In my opinion, anyone who is creating something is an artist. Would you tell a photographer he or she isnt an artist because they only press a button on a camera ? A songwriter,is using words to paint a picture, or their pen as a camera to capture a flurry of emtions. I'd far less willing to call someone who takes a loop of another musician, puts drums to it, and calls it their work and beat an aritst....

Genetix said:
In reguard to Sonus commment about songwriters/MCs ect. not being artists.

(This is copied and pasted from Dictionary.com)

art·ist

1. One, such as a painter, sculptor, or writer, who is able by virtue of imagination and talent or skill to create works of aesthetic value, especially in the fine arts.
2. A person whose work shows exceptional creative ability or skill: You are an artist in the kitchen.
3. One, such as an actor or singer, who works in the performing arts.
4. One who is adept at an activity, especially one involving trickery or deceit: a con artist.

In my opinion, anyone who is creating something is an artist. Would you tell a photographer he or she isnt an artist because they only press a button on a camera ? A songwriter,is using words to paint a picture, or their pen as a camera to capture a flurry of emtions. I'd far less willing to call someone who takes a loop of another musician, puts drums to it, and calls it their work and beat an aritst....

My jab was more towards those who call the singers and vocalists "artists", and those who actually create the underlying music are reduced to a beatmaker/beatsmith/producer or what have you.

Both are an art, both require artists. Individuals who partake in both could take their art to different levels - there are higher and lower levels of art. Stephen King isn't James Joyce.

Every picture is not a work of art. One must strive and work hard to reach that level.

Last edited:
"sampler and compilation records are the ****."

a trick for you all is that on these types of records, especially by k-tel and other labels, they would often buy the rights of a bunch of big songs/artists and slip some other people's stuff in there as well in order to promote them...more often than not these people's careers didnt go terribly far, making them ripe for obscure samples. :D

-Lodger

Lodger said:
"sampler and compilation records are the ****."

a trick for you all is that on these types of records, especially by k-tel and other labels, they would often buy the rights of a bunch of big songs/artists and slip some other people's stuff in there as well in order to promote them...more often than not these people's careers didnt go terribly far, making them ripe for obscure samples. :D

-Lodger
Thanks for the tip,man
Makes a lot of sense!!!

parents and and your grandparents can help too ha ha. its true though

The funky covers and intricate names of certain people/groups will get my attention..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back