The Digging Advice Thread (great for beginner diggers)

Hello, i have one question...
When you're diggin' in the record store, do you guys listen to the vinyl, that you pick up already in the record store? Or you will just buy it, take it home and then you start sampling?

PS: sorry for my english...

Awesome advice, garage sales and random antique stores sometimes have records for sale. Its never a for sure thing but the finds are normally cool.

i'm a beginner to digger myself, but my advice would be to either bring a portable player with you, or go to places where they let you play the records before you buy it. One thing iFound that could also help people is to shop for singles. Alot of singles have the instrumental side so it could be easier to find a break or a nice piece in that.

I don’t live near any record shops. I usually just search for whatever sound I want on YouTube but I’m running out of ideas. How can I find more unique samples?

I don’t live near any record shops. I usually just search for whatever sound I want on YouTube but I’m running out of ideas. How can I find more unique samples?

Examples of things I’ve searched: melodic bells, smooth synth samples, dark piano music

100% listening to your older relatives stuff is the best way for me. I've recently come home from uni and been listening to some of the stuff my dad listens to. I instantly had about 5 track ideas just from him playing random tracks he loves to me, plus i get some quality time with him!

100% listening to your older relatives stuff is the best way for me. I've recently come home from uni and been listening to some of the stuff my dad listens to. I instantly had about 5 track ideas just from him playing random tracks he loves to me, plus i get some quality time with him!
I second this. Listening to your relatives is definitely one of the best thing you could do while doing stiff like this!

Thanks for sharing keep updating. Thanks for the detailed article on this topic. I would like to see more such awesome articles from you.

Digging is a great and fun experience for sure! I put no genre to the records i listen to as i'm just searching for interesting compositions and instruments. I may be a purist as its vinyl all the way! Mainly for the experience and the thrill! It has a similar feel like going to the arcade's to express my dragon punch motion on them sticks back in the day.

Don't know where to post this but I found a site where you can dig through unreleased music by famous and amateur producers and everything is already in stems. Found this Swedish House Producer(John Dahlbäck) unreleased track that i've been sampling from. https://tonity.com/song/60af5b096e7f0d0008fba370. Site is called Tonity.com, I think they've just launched or something.

Back