The Digging Advice Thread (great for beginner diggers)

conversation, whosampled.com, youtube, and Gilson

All of these, especially the last one. Always led to new stuff because of Gilson. Pay attention there. Guarantee you'll learn something. The-Breaks is a good resource as well as the Sampleur site. I also spend time researching about the labels that I like, session players, etc. And also a lot of times I'm just looking for things I've known about and wanted for a long time and just either haven't found yet or haven't had the money to buy it at the time.

Jyri usually has some stuff too one of the more slept on diggers in this section. The Digging Adventures thread is full of good stuff

Word, good lookin out guys. Trying to step up my digging game. Not gonna actually dig anymore though until I go through all my records and sort things out.

Word, good lookin out guys. Trying to step up my digging game. Not gonna actually dig anymore though until I go through all my records and sort things out.

I tell myself that but it never happens. :) It's rent week for me so no digging but hopefully I can make up for it next weekend.

Bring along a portable turntable if you can. If not, bring your phone and earbuds and look up some of the album tracks on youtube. I know this takes some of the fun out of digging, but I'd only suggest doing this for more expensive vinyl where it's more of an investment. Or just use the dollar bin shotgun method.

Get to know the people working at the record store. If they see something come in that's your style, maybe they'll hold it for you before putting it out.

Find an artist or genre you like, then create a Pandora station. Discover new artists, repeat.

Don't be afraid to use songs/samples "legends" or "superstars" have used before. I heard Premier b---- about this back on Moment of Truth but I don't see it. I've heard legendary samples used by numerous artists before.

Also: Don't worry about expensive records. I've never understood that. Go for the cheap stuff, like at Goodwill or Salvation Army.

I got tired of cheap records becasue they are usually scratched to shit and and don't sound good.

Eh, suit yourself. Just being in so many thrift stores and estate sales I've seen thousands of them. There are also ways to somewhat fix records that are horribly scratched. My cousin uses dish soap and wipes them down. I believe you might be able to heat them (on very low) in an oven as well to fix heavily scratched records.

its easier to spend $3 more on a copy thats not scratched. I dont buy beat up vinyl. My shit is always in good condition.

its easier to spend $3 more on a copy thats not scratched. I dont buy beat up vinyl. My shit is always in good condition.

That has become my argument. When I first got into digging I would just shotgun dollar bins and grab maybe a few better ones. At this point in time, I see that most of those dollar bin records suck and the ones that don't are so scratched its annoying when I try to chill out to them.

That has become my argument. When I first got into digging I would just shotgun dollar bins and grab maybe a few better ones. At this point in time, I see that most of those dollar bin records suck and the ones that don't are so scratched its annoying when I try to chill out to them.

I get lucky. I find a lot of gems in the $1 that aren't scratched. I deal with a lot of record stores who just don't know what they have if it isn't rock or country. I also deal with stores that might sell all kinds of things and just find little to no value in the records they have like half priced books. Unless you are some huge name from that era think Aretha, Issac Hayes, Michael, ect. Then your record will generally be $5 or less and if it hasn't sold in 5 months they $1 bin them.

I get lucky. I find a lot of gems in the $1 that aren't scratched. I deal with a lot of record stores who just don't know what they have if it isn't rock or country. I also deal with stores that might sell all kinds of things and just find little to no value in the records they have like half priced books. Unless you are some huge name from that era think Aretha, Issac Hayes, Michael, ect. Then your record will generally be $5 or less and if it hasn't sold in 5 months they $1 bin them.

Awww you lucky. There is only 2 record shops in my town. Theres "Charlies" which is the main one and the bigger one. Then there is a little place called "Mecca" that is run by dicks who don't have a set schedule. They have good stuff though, not much filler.

im not a pro digger and dont have the most experience with records but ive found that when i look for records to just listen to and enjoy ill have more success. my favorite samples are usually music that i actually like to listen to.. instead of looking for that golden break ect.

Awww you lucky. There is only 2 record shops in my town. Theres "Charlies" which is the main one and the bigger one. Then there is a little place called "Mecca" that is run by dicks who don't have a set schedule. They have good stuff though, not much filler.

Wow its really liike that? I got 5 record stores on 6th ave alone 2 on 38th one down town and 4 I know of up north that I seldomly hit and 3 down south that I haven't hit in a few years lol. most of my digs happen at the same 3 or 4 stores.

Wow its really liike that? I got 5 record stores on 6th ave alone 2 on 38th one down town and 4 I know of up north that I seldomly hit and 3 down south that I haven't hit in a few years lol. most of my digs happen at the same 3 or 4 stores.

Yeah, its whack. Another reason I want to move

Back