**Define what a "pad" type sound is**

GreenBurn

When reading manuals I often come across the term "pad" sound used in the same context as saying something like a piano sound or a guitar sound or a snare sound etc.

What types of sounds are considered "pad" sounds?

Pads is just a term producers use for orchestral type sounds, like violins or reverb like "High" synths. A good example would be synthy violins, like timberland uses.

really?cuz all the pad sounds ive seen they didnt sound anything orchestral.but i guess i could be wrong.

pads are more of an atmospheric sound and they usually have a slow attack time. usually played to give more dimension to the overall sound and not meant for playing leads so they usually aren't the foremost element in a track.

Last edited:
AgentAssault said:
pads are more of an atmospheric sound and they usually have a slow attack time. usually played to give more dimension to the overall sound and not meant for playing leads so they usually aren't the foremost element in a track.

Agent's definition is more in line with what I've learned... Though many "orchestral" type sounds do fit this description to some extent.

-AD

I know...most of the time it's refering to synths that the melody revolves around, but any violin like instrument would apply. Here is how a typical song is broken down:

Drums or Rhym's section-
Bass drum, Snare/claps, Hi-hat, aux's (like congos), is the heart of the track/song because it keeps moving.

Sub or Bassline
bass guitar, sub synth line...helps keep the rhythm' going by following it most of the time

Harmony-
PADS, piano/key chords, ect.

Melody-
main tune, chorus or refrain that everybody will hum or sing, harmony revolves around this

kingartha said:
I know...most of the time it's refering to synths that the melody revolves around, but any violin like instrument would apply. Here is how a typical song is broken down:

Drums or Rhym's section-
Bass drum, Snare/claps, Hi-hat, aux's (like congos), is the heart of the track/song because it keeps moving.

Sub or Bassline
bass guitar, sub synth line...helps keep the rhythm' going by following it most of the time

Harmony-
PADS, piano/key chords, ect.

Melody-
main tune, chorus or refrain that everybody will hum or sing, harmony revolves around this
^^
nice breakdown*

Back