Damu's Drums

if youve listened to damu the fudgemunk then you know he's got some of the best sounding drums. Im just wondering if anyone has an idea on how he gets em to sound so crunchy because from what ive seen on youtube it looks like he just uses the mpc2000 which i wouldnt think would make drums sound that way

he doesnt compress them. hes said that himself. he finds good drums on good records, and he runs it through his mpc 2000xl. im sure theres some of his techniques he wont reveal. but its quite basic. he just gets nice drums. layers them sometimes i think. and then puts them through the mp

---------- Post added at 11:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 PM ----------

its on youtube dude. dunnoe if you searched or not. maybe you did and were still curious. either way. listen to what he says

and he runs it through his mpc 2000xl. im sure theres some of his techniques he wont reveal. but its quite basic. he just gets nice drums. layers them sometimes i think. and then puts them through the mp
2000XL's converters are quite transparent, you pretty much get what you put in. So it's more about sample selection and layering.

That beat at the end is CRAZY!

You can get those drums though. Just get some good loops and chop the sounds up into single notes. Or splurge on a live drum vsti module. Even battery has som good realistic kits.

Last edited:
I assume he layers his drums and does some EQ work to create that crunchy effect. You can emulate the effect (not the same effect as Damu) if you have Ableton Live and mess with the EQ Three settings (such as Midnight, Hi, Edge)

there's one video where you see him sampling a break at 78rpm. do that and after tuning it down in the mp you'll have what you're looking for. the rest is layering and eqing the individual channels.

Think he takes a lot of time carefully picking his drum samples from tunes which live up to the standard he has set in his head about his production. Very good ear, as you can tell by his music.

it's easy question. He chops them straight from drumbreaks.
You can compress and Eq them yourself. Than save it as a Wav-File.

Back