count :1, 2, 3, 4 - 2, 2, 3, 4 - 3, 2, 3, 4 - 4, 2, 3, 4, etc?????

rasmenelik

So today i was reading about different ways of chopping your sample. I usually chop it on 1,2,3,4 etc. So today i came across some one who wrote something bout 1, 2, 3, 4 - 2, 2, 3, 4 - 3, 2, 3, 4 - 4, 2, 3, 4, etc chopping a sample. I was looking around on FP if i could find some more info on that but didnt really find some. Someone familiar with this method of chopping and what do the mean by 2,2,3,4- 3, 2, 3, 4 - 4, 2, 3, 4, etc

Last edited:
It's easier to count multiple bars that way if you are playing in a band or an orchestra and are waiting for the part where you start playing.. It's not a way of chopping, the first beat is just replaced with the bar number so you know how long you've been counting.

I just chop where it sounds good. Depends on the sample.

Sometimes its every bar, sometimes two, sometimes half... all depends.

Man WTF R U Talking About????

:rofl:

if you chop your samples by counting beat measure's, you are limiting yourself and depriving yourself of creativity. its more of a rhythm thing and what sounds tight more so than counting. only thing ive ever counted was my rap bars.

Its a way of counting bars while including your quarter beats from your metronome.

1, 2, 3, 4 is bar 1
2, 2, 3, 4 is bar 2
3, 2, 3, 4 is bar 3
4, 2, 3, 4 is bar 4

So instead of just counting 1, 2, 3, 4 four times and using your hands to keep up with the bar count some people use this technique.

By no means is this a better way of counting or more efficient, its just a way someone learned how to count their bars/measures.

Efficient if you're using a four bar loop from a sample.

Last edited:
lol who counts beats like that? it's 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 1 and 2 and 3 and 4

or 1 2 3 4.

not 1-e-&-ah

won-eee-and-ahh

woneeandahh?

"1 and 2 and 3...etc" is for counting out 8th notes, "1 ee and uh 2 ee and uh 3...etc" is for counting out 16th notes, its just a convention

"1 and 2 and 3...etc" is for counting out 8th notes, "1 ee and uh 2 ee and uh 3...etc" is for counting out 16th notes, its just a convention

Thanks for clearing that up for our friend there, I was logging in to do just that. Yup, 16th notes, learned to count rhythms out in a 5th grade chorus class. It's amazing the things that stick with you.

For fun:
Triplets are counted as either "one-and-ah," or "one-trip-let."

Thanks for clearing that up for our friend there, I was logging in to do just that. Yup, 16th notes, learned to count rhythms out in a 5th grade chorus class. It's amazing the things that stick with you.

For fun:
Triplets are counted as either "one-and-ah," or "one-trip-let."

or 1-2-3

I get ya bruh. most songs have a natural progression.

When you introduce your sample into the song you usually will lay it down in a sequence. 1 = the first chopped samples 2=2 etc..

so intro it normally 1-2-3-4 and then switch it up 2-3-3-4

thats kinda complicated and hard to understand but if done right it can make your song sound like its new every measure

Its like stevie wonder on his album in which on the drums he never played the same progression twice so the song sounded new and fresh every measure.

Thats on some music theory stuff .

lol who counts beats like that? it's 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 1 and 2 and 3 and 4

or 1 2 3 4.

not 1-e-&-ah

won-eee-and-ahh

woneeandahh?
you obviously were never in band in school. They teach you this was because it's easier to count, not as many numbers to think about while reading music

Back