Clearing a Sample: Locating the CopyRight Holders

Red Charon

Yo, what up FP

First i want to give a pre-apology if this topic already exists, but i personally could not find something about this particular thing

Now.. My concern is just what means do you use to go about finding WHO owns the copyright for the record? I've read threads on the boards with people saying not to worry about it because chances are you won't be caught, but... this isnt always the best idea, especially if you at least WISH to be a huge success. You can't just sweep things under the rug until they bite you in the ass later.

I have a few samples i'd like to at least inquire about clearing. But i literally have no idea how to contact the owners. I was told i could maybe try ASCAP and BMI and search their site for the artists to see if the publishing company is there, but i have had zero luck going that route. Even knowing the respective record label, it's not like you can just google them and get direct lines to the people you need to speak to.

Any knowledge in this area anyone?

Hi,

Great question, and kudos for not just blowing it all off, as so many would do or advocate!

Harry Fox Agency (harryfox.com) will undoubtably have the information you seek re: publisher (and perhaps record company, if I remember correctly) in their on-line database, which is searchable. In any case, if you have the records, the basic info is right there.

It is not only the publisher that you need, but also the label, because there are two copyrights you're dealing with-- song content and the recording itself (which is why you see the symbols "(C)" and "(P)" on records and CD's).

I'm on an iPod, so it's a pain to post all of the links, but Google "sample clearance," and two articles come up right away; one at Nolo.com, and one
from Sound on Sound Magazine. I've posted them here before. They should get you started with all you need to know. Get that clearance, or at least have all of the information available for whoever uses your track later.

GJ

Hey, Thanks for the resources. My apologies for the late response, been a hectic week or so. But i will give HarryFox.com a shot and see how it works out. I would much rather cover my end in case something is heard and could cause me lots of trouble in the future. The Legal Music world is kind of a intimidating place. haha. Thanks again tho!

Back