Clean Sampling Techniques

bootleg404

How do producers such as Madlib sample one song (i.e. that ain’t the way you make love - ZZ Hill for Fancy Clown off Madvillainy) and are able to separate the vocals and instrumental in such a clean way? Is there a special EQ technique or certain hardware that makes it happen? I use FL Studio and have tried with Slicex but can’t get as clean.

You cant, thats the simplified answer. That track you're refering to you can clearly hear the piano still sitting under the vocal (however its been mono summed). You can EQ out certain parts of the spectrum but you cant remove it. At least back then, nowadays you can probably do some RX magic but i wouldnt worry about that.

The things you can do however is -
EQing out certain parts of the spectrum (like get rid of bass for example)
Splitting the stereo image into two mono tracks (maybe the thing you want is panned left - if you discard the right side of the stereo image you get a cleaner sample.

I always try to sample something I know has a good chance of being 'clean' from the beginning, i.e. will work with what I'm trying to do rather than get bogged down with overprocessing something that may not work at all...just my 2 cents

Back