Boom Bap Bass?

FirstDegree84

FirstDegree84
whats good fp wondering if someone can help me out here. im running on fl 10 if use a vst or try filtering a bass line i just cant seem to get the bass to sound the way i want to im shooting for that dj premier, 9th wonder sound the boom bap sound ive been working on my craft for close to 3 yrs now and just havent been able to get good bass i have a sh@t load dope drums and can chop samples with the best of them just cant seem to get the bass down. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

For a boom bap kind of feel, you could do two things:

1). Look solely for bass breaks (but that's no fun).

The more viable option:

2). LPF and compress the shit out of the sample to get a bassline. Another thing I use to really beef up a bassline is Izotope Ozone. Works wonders.

But yeah, filtering is the only real way (besides getting a real bassist to play the bassline for you) to get that nice boom bap bass. No VST will come close to giving you that.

Sampletank free plus Amplitube 3 free and get to tweaking you can create any bass tone you want with those. I use that combo for bass sometimes. If you want to spend some cash Trilian is a go to for many or the Scarbee Prebass for me.

my secret trick in fl... after you filter out the top end, add parametric eq. the second slider to the left.. turn the velocity up a little and move the frequency knob past the last bass slider.

Back