The best way to learn SAMPLING?

kmano

I think a lot of knowledge can be taught by sampling your favourite sampled songs! For example, I choosed Kanye's Otis, and I want to try remake it from the start. Do you think it can be taughtful for me? Can I learn how to sample by practicing something like this?

I think a lot of knowledge can be taught by sampling your favourite sampled songs! For example, I choosed Kanye's Otis, and I want to try remake it from the start. Do you think it can be taughtful for me? Can I learn how to sample by practicing something like this?

One thing that will truly help you in general in life is learning the English language, especially if it's your primary language. Here are some pointers:
1. No such word as 'taughtful', try using 'helpful' instead.
2. You chose it, not choosed.

Ohh stop be so sarcastic! ;) I've been learning english for a long time, but the problem is - I don't have an occasion to use it in the real life for the moment when it comes to talking, so I just simply forgot a lot of words and grammar..

Instead you could say something about the thread idea ;)

Well yeah, I reckon remaking beats would be pretty helpful. I haven't done it yet, but it could be of help. What helped me a lot also was watching heaps of beatmaking videos, and watching first hand how other producers make their beats, really helpful.
PEACE

Some ppl get better remaking beats & like dude said some ppl watch beatmaking videos to get better. Personally I like the videos, I've remade uh few beats before. Remaking would logically make you better cause you're actually making a beat, but I just watch videos to inspire me to make beats. To answer yo question, the best way to learn sampling, is to do it. Plain & simple.

So, Im remaking this Otis beat right now, and it's not that hard as I thought - of course it's hard to make masterpiece like that, but remaking it seems not to be that hard. But there is one thing I need to know.. when Jay raps his first verse it starts with the sample "you got got got to now now now" and before this there is some kind of instrument (guitar?), but I don't know what is this, and it repeats two times, but before the second time this sample hits, there is the same sound but seems that it's in different note and it gives the sample a bit of change. But I can't seem to find that sound in the song. If anyone knows what Im talking about, help will be appreaciated :) For you to see difference first listen to Otis at 0:41 and then 0:46 - it's the same sample once again but with added sound before it starts, and I can't find it in the original song.

So, Im remaking this Otis beat right now, and it's not that hard as I thought - of course it's hard to make masterpiece like that, but remaking it seems not to be that hard. But there is one thing I need to know.. when Jay raps his first verse it starts with the sample "you got got got to now now now" and before this there is some kind of instrument (guitar?), but I don't know what is this, and it repeats two times, but before the second time this sample hits, there is the same sound but seems that it's in different note and it gives the sample a bit of change. But I can't seem to find that sound in the song. If anyone knows what Im talking about, help will be appreaciated :) For you to see difference first listen to Otis at 0:41 and then 0:46 - it's the same sample once again but with added sound before it starts, and I can't find it in the original song.

Cause they added the instrumentation over it. If you haven't noticed from even Kanye's early stuff, he almost ALWAYS add instruments. That's what makes it a SONG.

I would love to hear some remakes of "Otis". That's a soulful track :)

You learn best by doing. I honestly don't find much use in remaking beats because you never know why you do things or when working this way. Its better to understand what is what by doing more often than not.

I think remaking beats in the beginning can be somewhat helpful, especially if you need to learn basics of sampling and chopping.

Really though, don't waste too much time perfecting a remake. If you're gonna put time into something, you might as well make something that's your own because you'll learn a lot more.

I like to remake beats, its fun and alot of times u learn something new. "Otis" seems like a fairly easy beat. but if you learn sosomething new, so be it. Another way is to listen and learn about as much music as you can.

I agree. Watch some beat making videos. and just practice. That's the key. Your 1st few may be trash. but you are guaranteed to get better in due time. Like riding a bike.

You gotta learn how to SPOT what is sampleable before you delve into flipping the sample. Come up with a list of songs that have been sampled before, compile them in a playlist on your iTunes, and teach your ear to spot the sample. Then, when you're digging on your own, you'll have a better sense of what to sample

The best way to learn how to sample... practice, practice, practice.

As others have already mentioned, try recreating some of your favorite songs and you'll quickly see what producers look for when they find something they think might be worth sampling. Personally I learned by recreating "They Reminisce Over You" by Pete Rock and CL Smooth, "Ms Fat Booty" by Mos Def, and various Daft Punk songs. Oh, and recreating tracks by Jedi Mind Tricks are really fun also.

No idea. Nobody taught me sampling. I think the best way to get an ear for sampling is to listen to more music and just experiment with different records. It won't happen instantly, but over time you'll progress properly.

One thing that will truly help you in general in life is learning the English language, especially if it's your primary language. Here are some pointers:
1. No such word as 'taughtful', try using 'helpful' instead.
2. You chose it, not choosed.

This reply was really 'taughtful' :p

it can be helpful to analyse a beat as a starting point to see all of the elements that makes the track hot.
for example if you analyse a preemo joint you will see how he lays he's drums to get the rhythm he does,
what gives it the real hip hop feel that he gets? is it the way he's drum patterns are? is he quantizing? what sort of drums does he use? what does the scratching and voice samples he uses add to the track?
Maybe you could find some of your favourite tracks and work out exactly what it is about the track you like. and maybe try to recreate the same sort of vibe that he does?

Back