Beginning Sampling

robzilla

Ok, so I'm new at this sampling art form. Not only am I having a hard time finding a good sample but when I do find something I like I don't know what to do with it. I know how to chop drum loops but as far as the rest I'm clueless. Do I loop first and then chop or do I just loop with out chopping? Like for instance a piano or vocal loop..Any help would be appreciated...oh I'm using the Maschine Mikro and Fl Studio

Theres really no rules when it comes to sampling. sometimes i loop and sometimes i chop a sample up and make a new melody with the chops. it all depends on the sample really and what the flow of the beat. Just play around with both and see what you're comfortable with. theres no right or wrong way when it comes to sampling.

The first step will be to listen to the music that you want to make and if you know the sample of a song try recreating that song.

I always chop my samples but that's just how I do it. There are a million different ways to go about it.

The first step will be to listen to the music that you want to make and if you know the sample of a song try recreating that song.
that will teach you how to make that song not how to make your own, the best thing in my opinion is to try to find out the techniques that other people use and just f*ck around with that a little and combine those techniques to make your own sh*t, but start simple, just start with simply looping samples, when you master looping, try to make simple 1 bar chops, after that try more complicated ways to chop.
sampling is something you can learn by simply trying, but when you start simple you won't feel like it is all too much.
anyway, that's just how i look at it

Ok now I'm getting somewhere. I guess I was having trouble finding a learning starting point. I was already practicing on looping but I thought I had to chop the loop as well. But I find it most difficult to make the loop fit into my song...

Try to make the rest of your song fit the sample, instead of the other way around. the way i build my beats is first chop the sample and arranging the chops and then build all the other elements around the sample, while other people might make a whole song and then try to find a sample that fits what they already got. just try different things, if one method doesn't work another might. i agree with soundsplash though: There are no rules, just do what you think sounds right. as long as you're having fun and feel like your expressing yourself you're doing it right

When you're just starting out, I'd recommend to chop samples on chord and note/riff hits. Then you map your samples to the machine, after which you rearrange the samples to make a new composition. Don't think too much about sampling when just starting out!

Sample from everything. Always have a sampler in hand. You never know when you'll hear a dope sample somewhere. I always use my iPhone recorder for sampling. Use whatever.

Back