that Alchemist interview in last Scratch mag, EQing samples

orjanbeats

did anybody check out the last scratch magazine? there was an interview with The Alchemist, and he showed how he make beats from start to finish. when he sampled, he ran the sound through a vestax 05 dj mixer, for some "basic EQing", before it went to the mpc2500. does anybody else eq before sampling, and why? is it to clean up the sound, or to make it dirty? or is it just for the sake of doing it?

I usually eq while I'm doing the beat itself. Helps me to get everything to sit right, including drums, added instruments, w/e. I do all my eq'ing in FL Studio also, I like to keep everything all in one program for easier editing. Eq'ing helps to get the sample a bit more clear, most of the time samples are somewhat muffled and not very bright. Also eqing the sample helps to bring different instruments out in the mix.

Last edited:
I do everything while i'm working. So i record everything straight. I might need to filter a sample or eq something but since i'm in a program that lets me do it easier afterwards, i do it afterwords. To me, when using an mpc, it makes alot more sence to me to do it before because you don't have good eq's in the machine.

3D Beats said:
I do everything while i'm working. So i record everything straight. I might need to filter a sample or eq something but since i'm in a program that lets me do it easier afterwards, i do it afterwords. To me, when using an mpc, it makes alot more sence to me to do it before because you don't have good eq's in the machine.

But I don't think Alchemist necesseraly want "good eq's" in that sense if you know what I mean, or else he probably would have used something else than a Vestax 05..

Maybe he finds the mixer adds color to the samples. Like running your drums through a 12bit sampler or a cheap pre.

Anyone still got the interview?

i have a vestax 05 aswell, and i usually EQ with that if im going to filter. say like i want the bassline of a sample, i try to cut the highs with the mixer and record with that. then i go further into the filtering.

He only uses the vestax to eq because even tho he uses Pro tools to record, he comes from that old school ya dig? The same reason why dre still uses his mpc 3000, its just what hes used to doin', its like when I open cubase, I always open battery and trilogy first for my bass and drums, its just what im used to. 1!

I don't think Al has ever touched an mpc2500. He is partial to his ASR. I want the link to this interview.

D-REW said:
i have a vestax 05 aswell, and i usually EQ with that if im going to filter. say like i want the bassline of a sample, i try to cut the highs with the mixer and record with that. then i go further into the filtering.

and there you have it.. He's shaping the sound of the sample to his liking that's all.

GreenBurn said:
I don't think Al has ever touched an mpc2500. He is partial to his ASR. I want the link to this interview.

it's in the Timbo/50 cent scratch issue.

Last edited:
GreenBurn said:

you must be living under a rock or something. Alchemist has used an MPC 2500 for a LONG time, it was a big fuss about it here and at mpc-forums.com when it was known that he had started using the mpc.

Last edited:
orjanbeats said:
But I don't think Alchemist necesseraly want "good eq's" in that sense if you know what I mean, or else he probably would have used something else than a Vestax 05..
Just out of curiosity, have you ever used the eq or any effects on an mpc before? The are absolutely horrid for the most part compared to basically anything else out there.

^for sure. I mean, it's usable, i don't like it. But that wasn't really my point i was trying to make (I didn't really explain though).

My main point was i think it makes much more sence to eq your samples before had when using an sampler like the mpc, that lacks functions as opposed to software or other hardware with more options.

I am not trying to speculate on why alc uses eq, or how it effects his music.

orjanbeats said:

lol, I was thinking the sample thing, he has more than enough money to buy something better if he wanted good eq on his sample

Back