Was this worth $5

Without actually listening to it, I'd say you get what you pay for. I'd also say there's a limit on how much you can ask for, for that price. It'd probably take several hours to do that job properly, and for a dollar an hour, you're not really all that motivated to do a great job, are you?

I paid $5 for mixing and mastering with two revisions, did I get my moneys worth?View attachment 43439View attachment 43439!

As Wallengard said, it's a question of the time involved. I'd estimate a decent mix to take anything between 1 to 2 days to complete, with revisions/tweaks and printing masters and stems. I'd then estimate a decent track mastering to take about 30 minutes to 1 hour to do. So let's conservatively say a total of 12 hours work.

How much time would you spend on something for $5?

If the person simply put an Ozone preset over your stereo file as the "mix and master" I'd say you got a good deal...

I do mastering for $5, is the lowest price possible, i'm honest, you know that isn't the same mastering as $50, but there no way to mix and master for only $5. Because you can do mastering in less than 1 hour, but mixing may take a day or more, depending of the music.
PS: I heard your song, isn't bad for $5, hahaha, for me it worth $2.

Last edited:
Yeah hard to say what the work is worth without hearing what you gave them in the first place but if you want your music to sound professional its worth saving a little money and going with someone who charges professionally.

it sounds like you got your moneys worth. honestly he can only work with what you recorded. it sounds like you didnt even put that much effort into the flow so what do you expect? no offense but the chorus you sound like you just wokeup, there was no energy in the performance, therefore the final product will suffer.

IMO, the mixing is the better part of the song. Your flow slides so far off from the beat that I wonder why it even has drums at all.
I'm sure you can do better than that. Disappointed.

Considering this line:

"I haven't told my mom that I'm not going to college, I'll buy a few books on political knowledge but rap is my honest only option." [sic]

Don't put all of your eggs in one basket.
At your current level of skill, staking your future on rap would be like staking your future on winning the lottery - Without buying a ticket.
If you improve, you'll still be in a sea full of people with similar skill levels and lyrical content. You'd still be counting on winning the lottery, but at least you'd have a ticket in hand.

On one hand, you definitely received more than $5 worth of a person's time.
After all, the guy charged you less to mix and master the entire song than I charge people to process one individual stem for a mix.
On the other hand, any amount of time and/or money spent polishing a turd is wasted time and/or money.

You can definitely improve as long as you actually take the criticism to heart and strive to become better, rather than becoming defensive.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
Thanks for the criticism. Maybe you want to help me with my flow (something I struggle with to the point of insanity) or show me some resources. Either way I will strive to become better, and stay humble through the critics :) .

And you say a future in rap, what is the goal of a future in rap? I've defined my own success and what I want to do with my life. All you need for a future in rap is to write a line (I might be broke, however)

Thanks,

-F

Last edited:
Back