Work Flow Using Two Computers

I see a lot of producers and mix engineers have two computers on their desk and I was wondering how they use them for their work flow (e.g do they use one just for mixing and the other to create, or do they share the screen?) I have a Mac Book and an iMac and want to be able to put them both to use. I was thinking of putting my laptop right next to my midi keyboard for making beats and the desktop for mixing ... But, what do you all do, or would do if you had a laptop and desktop to use?

I see a lot of producers and mix engineers have two computers on their desk and I was wondering how they use them for their work flow (e.g do they use one just for mixing and the other to create, or do they share the screen?) I have a Mac Book and an iMac and want to be able to put them both to use. I was thinking of putting my laptop right next to my midi keyboard for making beats and the desktop for mixing ... But, what do you all do, or would do if you had a laptop and desktop to use?

What you're looking at is split screen mode, something you can do from virtually any computer. They're not using two computers...

So I’m guessing one of those computers is just a monitor then and I can’t do this with my two computers?

right, you need a second monitor. not a second computer. although, i'm sure there's a computer engineer somewhere in the world that's figured it out with two computer.

right, you need a second monitor. not a second computer. although, i'm sure there's a computer engineer somewhere in the world that's figured it out with two computer.

I was told you can do it using a thunderbolt cable between the two computers. I mean I have yet to try it but hopefully soon I will. Worth a try because those Apple monitors are expensive!

Stop what you're doing.

I was told you can do it using a thunderbolt cable between the two computers. I mean I have yet to try it but hopefully soon I will. Worth a try because those Apple monitors are expensive!

Don't let today's lack of money determine how much you financially earn tomorrow.

Why would you go through so much trouble for a ghetto solution. I'm sure you can find a cheap second monitor with a little bit of effort on your part. You'll be wasting a perfectly good computer that could be making you money, even if you get it to work as a monitor screen. To get out of the slums you'll need to start doing thing right. People know when they come to your studio if it looks right right or not. They know the difference between a professional sound and an amateur one. They know this regardless of their level of experience with making music. We've collectively and subconsciously set the standard for what we want from music makers when we listen and watch. People know what to expect from us because we're constantly giving them songs to reference. Learn how to do it right.

Connecting a second monitor is cheap by the standards of most producers and engineers. If you're having trouble affording a second monitor then your not doing the one thing vital to any beat makers, producers, engineers and general music professionals career; you're not leasing or selling your works. Even if this is your hobby, you shouldn't waist valuable resources on mediocre task. Maximize the use of your resources and start making money today. Use the money to buy a cheap monitor for yourself so your can continue more important task like finishing incomplete beats and making sound packs for people.

Don't let today's lack of money determine how much you financially earn tomorrow.

Why would you go through so much trouble for a ghetto solution. I'm sure you can find a cheap second monitor with a little bit of effort on your part. You'll be wasting a perfectly good computer that could be making you money, even if you get it to work as a monitor screen. To get out of the slums you'll need to start doing thing right. People know when they come to your studio if it looks right right or not. They know the difference between a professional sound and an amateur one. They know this regardless of their level of experience with making music. We've collectively and subconsciously set the standard for what we want from music makers when we listen and watch. People know what to expect from us because we're constantly giving them songs to reference. Learn how to do it right.

Connecting a second monitor is cheap by the standards of most producers and engineers. If you're having trouble affording a second monitor then your not doing the one thing vital to any beat makers, producers, engineers and general music professionals career; you're not leasing or selling your works. Even if this is your hobby, you shouldn't waist valuable resources on mediocre task. Maximize the use of your resources and start making money today. Use the money to buy a cheap monitor for yourself so your can continue more important task like finishing incomplete beats and making sound packs for people.

I have plenty of of computers at my finger tips that hardly get any use so using one as a monitor would not bother me one bit.

Second I can care less what people perceive as professional, just because I don’t have an actual stand alone monitor for optimal workflow lol. I’m in this to make stuff sound good-if people critique my setup of using another computer as a display than I’d rather not work with them anyway.

Thanks for your input.

Wasn't throughing a jab at you for what you're trying to do. Was just pointing out some stuff that's gets over looked in our efforts to make the kind of beats that people want to buy. It's also worth knowing how people want to buy beats from you. And if you dont sell beats, cool. It leaves more business for my clients.

Do what you'd like but I can find better uses for a computer, especially with multiple working machines. You could find a $50 monitor pretty easily if you look around. You could even find one for free if you ask the right people, the right way. Good luck with what you're trying to do. Let me know how I can help when you're ready.

Thanks if I ever need help marketing or making money from my music I’ll let you know ...

I’m looking for advice on how one would use two monitors for workflow.

Back